Cut stock springs?

RKturbo6

Hey guys looking for a little advice. I want to lower my ride 1-1.5 inches. I have done a bit of researching and see that there is several options I have here. The problem is I DO NOT want a stiffer spring. This car is a drive every so often and take it to the track. Cornering ability is really not the thing I am really interested in. I would like to keep the softer springs for weight transfer/traction purposes and that is why I would like to stay away from F-body or aftermarket springs. Is there a downside to just cutting say a coil or so off the front and rear springs to drop it a bit?

Thanx in advance

You can't cut a coil off of the rear springs.

If you do they won't fit the spring perches.

I would put in longer Howe Lower Ball Joints in front. It would lower your car (by raising the spindle) and improve the handling at the same time (by improving the camber curve).

You may not get the full drop you want, but you will get a lot of it.

Yeah I was strongly considering the spindles. Never changed one before are they that big a pain in the ass? I have seen some guys using the Moog cargo springs on the rear but some of them said it stiffened the chassis some. Thats what I want to get away from. Are all the Moog springs pigtailess? Figured if the were I could get a really soft set of them and cut them a coil or so and belltechs on the front. With all the weight out of the front should set pretty good but not crazy scraping low.

Worrying about spring stiffness is quite valid on these cars. Although many guys throw very stiff springs in a claim to like them, you cannot get around the fact that the frames on these cars with rubber suspended bodies are really flexible. The handling might improve but the ride gets harsh.

I used Moog 5660s in the front of my car which are 50% stiffer than stock and after 2 years decided to swap down to a 5658 which is 25% stiffer than stock. I recommend them highly. Not harsh but definitely firm. The 5658 is a little lower than stock.

You can cut some coils off the stock front springs at the bottom only. This will lower and stiffen as well.

Going much stiffer in the back really makes for a harsh ride. I like the cargo coil for retaining a soft ride but noticeably stiffening over a big bump.

Originally posted by RKturbo6
Yeah I was strongly considering the spindles. Never changed one before are they that big a pain in the ass?

Well, depends.
Doing the spindles and doing the springs, same level of disassembly. With spindles, you'll have to get all new bearings, and while you have those apart, might as well get new rotors, and new bushings... it can go on and on.

Advantages to the Howe ball joints or the drop spindles is you'll be able to maintain a normal alignment. Simply cutting the springs is going to cause a lot of positive static camber, and there might not be enough runout on the UCA bolts to get rid of it. You'll end up eating the outsides of your front tires very quickly.

I have the belltech 2" drop spindles (front) and the 1.5" springs (rear) and I like the way my car rides and looks, And if your front end parts aren't worn you don't have to buy all new unless you really want to.

Another suggestion would be to go over to Cophers ;) and get a set of stockers from an old G-body with a V-6. Installing these will cause the front wheel lip to sit about 1/2" to 1" higher than the top of the tire, and won't cause a harsh ride. Works for me. :D