CVT Transmission repair

N2BUICK

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Is there anyone here well versed in overhauling these odd ball Transmissions ?
Looking to help, get vehicle for granddaughter is reason for this whole mess. Friend has this 2008 Jeep Patriot with "bad" transmission 131K miles. Body not to bad some hail. Interior needs TLC but ok.
I can get the vehicle real cheap is only reason i am trying to pursue fixing it. My friend is a transmission person among other things. Has tons of special tools but non for CVT or experience with them.
I have never seen the lack of good used transmissions like this. Everybody's advice differs from run away fast to buy a new trans from Jeep/Dodge.
Chances of finding a salvage yard with one seems pretty bleak. Finding someone that has a trans from a wreak that doesn't have over 100K miles is also dead end.
Cost of new trans installed by us is still near to book value of the vehicle in better condition of this one.
Give me a 2004R, TH400, 4L something, these CVT are like a bad dream.
Will run very slow like in low only and no reverse.We did drive it on my trailer. No codes looked for yet.
Any input would help

I'm not saying it cant be done, but it could get expensive and laborious if it doesn't work first time. Then you get to pull it again and do some more labor. To me it is easier to find a similar wrecked one and get its hopefully working trans, and this is from a guy who did his own 2004r and is working on a 4l60e now.

Too many used cars out there to goof with a beat up, used up, no trans working beater. Unless you just like wrenching and learning because I would say this is a steeeeep learning curve.

Thanks guys for you input . I guess if we can get a smoking deal on a replacement trans I will stay in, but i get to thinking what kind of car do we put our granddaughter in reliability wise?

find an 02 Camry garage kept, that was only driven to the grocery store and post office by an old lady , and has around 70 K miles on it, and she's selling it because she can no longer drive !!!! that's what I did :p

My daughter has a 2016 Altima with 36k miles. Just got a new cvt tranny under warranty. My advice.....run!

Mine drive a 2000 Malibu we swapped an engine into, and a 2003 cavalier that is getting some new fuel pump wiring but it was solid until that little snafu. Parts are plentiful at the yard or part house. Pretty easy to work on. About a yr after the engine swap the water pump went to leaking. Like $35 on rock auto. Easy to get to.

If they bend em up we will probably hunt up another with a bad engine or trans to swap these into if they are still working.