D5 Question

TOMS86GN

What does a stock D5 stall at? Why I am asking is that I recently got my tranny rebuilt and asked for about a 2800. When I called the place up the other day they said all they did was factory specs and stalled around 1900 is this right? Tranny feels better but its taking for ever to spool. btw i have a te 44

I think the D5 stalls around 2500. I had a d5 and the car was very sluggish off the line. I went with a pats 10 inch 3000 stall lockup made the car a lot faster and helped general driveablilty too.

Was the car sluggish before the rebuild? A stock D5 stalls at about 2200-2400 rpms depending on engine setup. Are you sure you got your original converter back?

Well here's what I ran into from our supplier (precision of new hampton).

They rate all of their converters using the same input torque, which is rather low, and when I looked up a D5 (even using the 4 letter code and had a part number) it was listed as a 1900 stall (highest stock converter listed also.) The #5 impeller is used with I believe a special 14 blade stator to make a D5. My boss swore to god I was nuts and said there's no way the factory ever put a 2400 stall in anything. Obviously the extra torque of the turbo 6 makes it stall much higher than it would with their input torque, something like 200 or 250 ft lbs. What I did is ordered one of their "street stall" converters and then they offered to "max out" the street stall for a little more, so I did that too. They list stock as 1900, SS is 2100, and SSMX is 2300. I haven't got it in the car yet but they DID start with a core that had a #5 impeller stamp, so hopefully it gets me 26-2800 in my car. It was cheap at my cost so I'm not out much if it's only 2300, it will go in my cutlass project.

Are you sure your car had a stock D5 in it before? Maybe it had been loosened a bit by a previous owner. stall it up on the foot brake and see what a scan tool reads for RPM. And then report back.

bob

A stock d-5 stall speed is

2025. A gn/t-type D5 converter does use the 14 blade stator. :biggrin:

yes 2025 is the rating but can vary with tune. 1900 is way to low thats something like a d-6 from a vette you would be better off with a 10 inch 2800 to 3000 with a 44. make sure your not rich on the bottom end that can cause slow spool up and see what your blm's are at idle. try an rjc bleeder valve it will spool alot faster like you put a 2800 in there

well it stalls out at 2300, i shouldnt be rich off the bottem, the only thing is that i have low vac, around 10' and before it was around 19, i found no leaks, and all the hoses look good.

I don't happen to have my GM literature in front of me at this time, but an "A" code converter is a 2025 stall (Ex: CA8F). A "B" code converter is listed as a 1996 stall (Ex: CB8F). I have all the information listed on gnttype.org as to what the codes are. Most of the corvette converters I have come across are near the 1569 stall rating or so. Only converters coded for the 14 vane stator are listed as TR converters or the Bravada converters with the 4.3 in front. I have had quite a few factory 30 spline converters that have the 5 stamping on them but have 19 vane stators inside. All depends on the code from GM.

I have an unmolested D5 at home with a CBCF tag on it.......

Gm has always had some crazy ways to i.d. converters.

I have no info on why you are losing vacuum. I'd say get under there with a mityvac and look for leaks, though a bad tune can also affect vacuum.

bob