Damaged connecting rod

Macsteve829

I recently spun bearing 6 and the connecting rod bore is enlarged .0009 The crank is also ground down about. 0009 on the number 6 journal. All the other rods and mains are stock tolerance. Can I throw a used rod in the mix successfully, or should I go with new forged? On another note, are there any reputable machinists near Flint/Detroit Michigan area?

If you are running a balanced assembly then the replacement rod should match the others, if they are all stock then a used factory replacement can be used. But since it all has to come apart you could upgrade to the forged units as they are reasonable priced, but I always advocate a balancing of the rotating assembly be done anyway.

Its still stock right now, I'm scared about the local machinists, the first 2 calls I made, I asked about experience with these motors, and they both said "they're all the same to me". So I'd rather find a stock rod and do the work myself. But, if I could find a reputable guy in southeast Michigan, I would like to have the crank cleaned up to match some new forged rods (K1?) and punch out the bores a little for some new pistons and have everything properly balanced and measured for clearance. When I toasted this motor, I got a couple degrees retard at the top of second, then let off (was around 12.0 a/f). I saw that the knock was still there after the pull at low rpm, and pulled over immediately and flat-bedded it back home. I have a brand new CPT-60 bb turbo from cotton's and it has somewhat of an inlet filter/restrictor (small metal screen). I have about 2 hours on the new turbo. The turbo shaft has no play and is very smooth, doesn't sound scratchy when I spin it but the oil in my motor had that metal sheen... should I send out the turbo for inspection or are bb turbo cartridges pretty durable?

The crank is .0009" under? Sounds like it needs to go to the crank grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you can contact Mike at Full Throttle he is a vendor here He sells the K1 rods too:whistle:. He is not a machinist but since he is in MI I am sure he could direct you to one. Mike has been in the GN world since the beginning.