Decided to check the turbo, b/c of smoking???

charleslong

I decided to take a look at my turbo, b/c my car has been smoking. i unhook the inter cooler, and i notice what looks like oil that has been dried/burned in the portion right before the turbo inlet. I am going to take it all off now, to see if i see if there is a source.
please give your input on this,
charles

well, the bolts that are on the exhaust side, that bolt up my 3" down pipe has what looks like burned oil. I wish it was some tr guys in the area that could help me.
thanks
charles

We'll need a little more info on your set-up. If your car is still stock then oil in the turbo is very common. It will get sucked into the compressor side, down into the i/c, up through the throttle body and into the engine. Since you say you have oil in the compressor side, and you say your car smokes, I would guess your seals have gone bad. How many miles on the turbo? More info would narrow it down alot quicker.

Originally posted by OneLethal87GN
We'll need a little more info on your set-up. If your car is still stock then oil in the turbo is very common. It will get sucked into the compressor side, down into the i/c, up through the throttle body and into the engine. Since you say you have oil in the compressor side, and you say your car smokes, I would guess your seals have gone bad. How many miles on the turbo? More info would narrow it down alot quicker.

My turbo is the stock one, and my engine just turned 102,000 miles and this is the cars first time smoking, that i can remember. My mods are cold air intake, LS1 mass air flow sensor, kenne belle 70mm tb, GN1 ported/polished aluminum heads, Eastern Performance FMI, 3" down pipe, Flow Master 3"exhaust, Poston adjustable 7 step chip, adjustable boost a spark, Turbonetics delta wastegate, posi, and inside there is a boost controller.
I also have some injectors, that will be getting from my uncle, as soon as i go back to Missouri. I will install a fuel pump also after my transmission is repaired. What do you guys recommend or what are you using? Also what turbo would you recommend for the setup that I have?
Thanks guys

Originally posted by charleslong
My turbo is the stock one, and my engine just turned 102,000 miles and this is the cars first time smoking, that i can remember. My mods are cold air intake, LS1 mass air flow sensor, kenne belle 70mm tb, GN1 ported/polished aluminum heads, Eastern Performance FMI, 3" down pipe, Flow Master 3"exhaust, Poston adjustable 7 step chip, adjustable boost a spark, Turbonetics delta wastegate, posi, and inside there is a boost controller.
I also have some injectors, that will be getting from my uncle, as soon as i go back to Missouri. I will install a fuel pump also after my transmission is repaired. What do you guys recommend or what are you using? Also what turbo would you recommend for the setup that I have?
Thanks guys

add adj fuel regulator

You said you still have the stock turbo. Do you still have the stock breather set-up from the pass. side valve cover? If so, this is where the oil is coming from. If not, the seals are most likely bad due to oil in the turbo AND smoking from the exhaust. BTW, I assume this is white smoke. I had a turbo go bad in my 85 GN and it had a huge white smokescreen behind me.

You said you still have the stock turbo. Do you still have the stock breather set-up from the pass. side valve cover? If so, this is where the oil is coming from. If not, the seals are most likely bad due to oil in the turbo AND smoking from the exhaust. BTW, I assume this is white smoke. I had a turbo go bad in my 85 GN and it had a huge white smokescreen behind me.

im not sure about a stock breatehre deal, could you show me a pic of this? also, the car will smoke if i get on it to, but it will get up and go. just leaves a nice puff of smoke.

The stock set-up has a hose running from the inlet bell on the turbo to the front side of the pass. side valve cover. The suction of the turbo sucks oil out of the valve cover, up through the hose and into the turbo. What color smoke?

The stock set-up has a hose running from the inlet bell on the turbo to the front side of the pass. side valve cover. The suction of the turbo sucks oil out of the valve cover, up through the hose and into the turbo. What color smoke?
im thinkin a grayish color,