Decisions 6466 or 6768

bad V6

My 6765 has went south, so I'm thinking of either the 6466 or the 6768 from Precision Turbo. If I go with the 6768 it will probably be the ball bearing version with an E cover on it (to stay THS legal). I like what I've read about the 6466, but have yet to see any track results that show the capability of the turbo. The 6768 on the other hand has been proven to be a strong performer.

I'm looking to go high 9's. The car is driven on the street occasionally, to and down the track. The tune will be at 28-32# of boost on a mix of pump/race gas and alky. Which turbo would best compliment my car?

249 CI
8.7:1 compression
3.625 stroke
Diamond pistons on Eagle rods
218/212 roller cam
Harland Sharp 1.65 rocker arms
ported/polished big valve iron heads & intake
62mm throttlebody
RJC IC-325 intercooler
80# injectors with a Racetronix double pumper
Alky Control dual nozzle
MAFT Gen2, Extender Extreme chip w/ Innovate wideband
Terry Houston DP w/ ATR 3" single shot exhaust
built 2004r w/ all the billet pieces (shift point is 6000-6200 RPM)
PTC 17 blade 9.5" NL converter (stalled to 0# at 3000 RPM with the 6765 JB)

Personally I would go with the 6768 but not a ball bearing. You have plenty of motor to spool it. ball bearing would spool too fast and be a waste of $1000.00

Bryan

I had thought about the JB 6768, but was unsure if my converter was loose enough to spool it. When the tune was right the JB 6765, it spooled very quickly.

The 6466 will get you there. I have not really got to dial my car in all the way yet but hope to do so this week or next. The spool up is lightning fast.

I got the Billet 67HPQ and the numbers that my builder will say "off the record" are totally ridiculous. J White went 8.90 with it during some testing. The 6466 isn't going to do that. It's a great turbo, but it's all about the excitement following the new releases. Happens everytime new combos are released. The 67 HPQ is the biggest THS allows...why not get it.

Any of those including the 6765 will easily cover high 9's.

I would use the smaller turbo. Use what you need to achieve your goal nothing more. Then make the torque converter match it for best performance.

I'm confused by some of the posts in here honestly. Either of those turbos will get the job done but the 6466 is much newer and much more efficient relatively when compared to the 6768. If you aren't interested in ball bearing, the 6768 is the no brainer.

After discussing this with some on the board, I have decided to go with an E-cover 6766 w/.85 exhaust housing. It should better suit my combination on the street and the track. Plus, I'll still be THS legal.

After discussing this with some on the board, I have decided to go with an E-cover 6766 w/.85 exhaust housing. It should better suit my combination on the street and the track. Plus, I'll still be THS legal.
How is the 6766 performing? Have you made any runs?

Timing was 23 in 1 & 2, 21 in 3. The tune was still rich, WB was showing 10.0-10.1. I was running alky with 50/50- 93/116.

Been talking to somebody about testing a 67/66 on my car but haven't done it yet. I have run 8.85 with a Billet 67/68 journal turbo, but it was the H cover. I don't think you'll see too much of a downside to the E cover. It all comes down to the combo of the car and tune.

Been talking to somebody about testing a 67/66 on my car but haven't done it yet. I have run 8.85 with a Billet 67/68 journal turbo, but it was the H cover. I don't think you'll see too much of a downside to the E cover. It all comes down to the combo of the car and tune.

You used a billet 71 hpq and the billet 67 HPQ correct...? Biggest difference in your opinion? What would you say a Buick must have to use the 67HPQ properly?