DENATURED ALCOHOL

daredevil95

Hi, my alky supplier went out of business and I'm stuck with no source of alcohol but, I have been using a product called Boost Juice, which is a 50/50 mix alcohol & water....I'm not sure if this is good, car doesn't run as good with this stuff. I did some research today and found out about the Denatured Alcohol which I could easily buy around here. My question is: Should I do a 50/50 mix with the denatured alcohol or run that stuff straight? I have a alky kit on my car and the car has been dyno tuned with the alky kit....not big power (383 rwhp) and I never bother to ask the guy i was getting it from if it was a 50/50 mix or straight alcohol. i don't know where he is to contact him. I never knew about this 50/50 mix until I bought the Boost Juice and did some research, which it looks like mostly Mitsubishi EVO's and Subaru STI's use the 50/50 mix so, I'm not sure at this point?

Denatured alky is even more expensive in some places than mentioned above. However, the alky kit you have on your car likely was meant to run pure methanol or denatured alcohol.

Besides, why would you want to do what "mostly Mitsubishi EVO's and Subaru STI's" do?

I've seen 5 gallon cans/buckets of methanol on E bay available for shippment to your door, pricey, but at least you're getting the right stuff for your application.

Denatured alky is even more expensive in some places than mentioned above. However, the alky kit you have on your car likely was meant to run pure methanol or denatured alcohol.

Besides, why would you want to do what "mostly Mitsubishi EVO's and Subaru STI's" do?

I've seen 5 gallon cans/buckets of methanol on E bay available for shippment to your door, pricey, but at least you're getting the right stuff for your application.

I had this Alky kit for a couple years and never had a problem with it, I always bought....what I called alcohol, which was probably methanol or whatever it was, from the same guy for the past couple years, I would bring a metal Jerry Can to him and he would fill it up for me out of a 55 barrel drum with a hand crank/pump on it. I never bothered to ask any questions and now that he is out of business, I have to find another source and I'm doing some research as to what to buy and where...I'm learning. When i was doing some google research about alcohol injection, a lot of the Alky injection information I found was on the Japanese cars, which I'm not a fan of but, there was a lot of info and that's were i read about the 50/50 mix and my jug of Boost Juice is a 50/50 mix and the car runs like sh*t on it at WOT so, I have to dump that stuff and get some denatured alcohol or methanol. Like I said, i'm learning about the Alky injection and I wasn't sure if I am supposed to do a 50/50 mix but, I don't believe so at this point, straight denatured alcohol or methanol.....which seems correct. I checked out e-Bay per your advice and found 5 gallons of Methanol for $39.00 which isn't to bad but, it stated for the purpose of making Bio-Diesel....is this the same stuff we would use in the Alky kit? it's methanol so, it should be ok and cheaper then 5 gallons of Denatured Alcohol which was $58.00. So, I'll have to order the methanol or go over to the hardware store and see what they have in stock. Thanks

It should be the same most bio diesel processes call for straight methanol. Have you checked the sticky at the top of this section

It should be the same most bio diesel processes call for straight methanol. Have you checked the sticky at the top of this section

Just checked the Methanol sticky and BINGO:
Fairfield CT
Grasmere Sunoco
3.50 a gallon for Methanol

A 5 minute ride from my house!!! $3.50 X 5 Gallons = $17.50 FTW Heck of a lot cheaper then E-Bay!

Thanks...problem solved!!

Oh, one more quick question: what produces more power Denatured Alcohol or Methanol Alcohol? or are they about the same?

3.50 a gallon? I just paid 2.30 a gallon Tuesday.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Oh, one more quick question: what produces more power Denatured Alcohol or Methanol Alcohol? or are they about the same?

Methanol is preferred because it produces the same results, is more readily available and costs less. I pay $2.00 gallon from a sublet, to a sublet, to a sublet guy in Phoenix

When or if you buy from someone's drum. Make sure it doesn't have any top lube added. As most do.

Thanks for the good info and alky education....I'll be picking up some methanol later today and back in action!!

And they don't use the same pump they use on race gas

The above is gosphel when getting your methanol from suppliers.
And make sure its in its purest form with no lube added. I once "loosened" a headgasket due to my supplier using one pump for everything and the bad fuel contaminated my pump and it was dying and lost its output from seal failure and locked horns with a LS1 fbody one night and heard CLING CLING KNOCK KNOCK. Then a few others in our group started having leaky pumps and we were all getting our methanol from the same guy.

Over the years and over 90k + miles using alky when I DD my TR, having used washer fluid, denatured, isopropyl, Methanol as well as trying various water blends.

What I found is the methanol and Denatured by itself does the best with methanol taking the lead. Biggest two reasons for me running it straight is supplemental fueling/octane and the sensible heat leading to latent that the pure product gives while cooling the charge air. If running a mix with H2O you cant have both properties IMO as the water will hamper the fueling/octane assist. But it it will cool.

great, getting lot's of good info in this forum, for the past few years I have been in another GN forum and hardly ever got a response, this place is great....my new HIOME. Greetings!!

Got the Methanol tonight, $33 bucks for 5 gallons of VP. Filled the tank up and ready to go! The guys at the gas station were cool, gave me some free magazines and a few VP Racing gas stickers!
tt.JPG