Did i wipe a lobe?

speedskills

Seniór Member
Bought the GN last April from a nonmember. Installed 100# beehive springs from a vendor on here. I myself was leary and uneducated about ZDDP last year and did not use it. The previous owner didn't either. Now I have lifter noise that seems to be getting worse. Did a wipe a cam lobe? TIA

many many 5500 rpm revs...no noise, no problems... you could just pull the valve covers, rotate the motor by hand and see if any rockers not moving as much as the others, but the could also indicate a collapsed lifter...only way to see that is pulling intake..

"lifter noise that seems to be getting worse."

Cut the filter open.. Lobe in there??

you dont need to pull the intake (but you'll probably end up doing it anyway) , pull the valve cover and with engine running look at the pushrods , if you find any not spinning or spinning very slow compared to the others then you've got a problem and now you'll know which lifter to look at when you pull the intake , although youll be pulling the cam out anyway and depending on how much metal went through the motor you may be pulling the block for a thorough cleaning and new bearings as well as a cam lifter set

could also be a bad rocker so while you have the covers off look for missing rocker buttons , bent pushrods , bent or cracked rocker shaft

Pulled driver side off today and noticed a couple pushrods spinning slow and one spinning the wrong way. Does that make a differnce? Spinnng slow means I wiped a lobe?

cam lobes are tapered (higher at back of lobe ) so they should all spin the same direction , the one thats going the other way is a problem .. thats the one youll probably find the lifter and the lobe are done

Ok. Thanks. Looks like I got a reason to tear into her now. New cam and an excuse to get some head work done.

Not that it helps you any, but I remember some cams were cut with a reverse taper on #3 exh. lobe.So that reverse spin could be normal.You should look at the valve springs. I've had broken springs that made noise that was hard to pin point. good luck

Did

You get it figured out ? I spent most of the day trying to seal these headers. And still a tick . So im tearing down the whole system a going copper on everthing .. I still might go to test and tune with ticky .. While waiting on parts ..

Im not sure. Its hard to recreate in the garage. I couldnt get it to make the same noise. Im going to run it around now and see if its still making noise.