difference between q-trim s-trim and x-trim

nailheadpowered

Okay looking to rebuild or replace my turbo and im currently running a 72 p-trim and if someone can explain the differences between Q-S-and X trim to me like im a 5 year old i would appreciate it as the car is street and will go to the track also and im going to be running a 36-3800 stall converter, oh and im looking to do it in a ball bearing setup in either the 72 if in can rebuild and retro fit it within reason or if going new ill just do a 76 and call it a day, let me know as im looking to go mid 9's to low 10's.

From what i been reading the GTS76 is the turbo for your goals. From what i have seen on the net:

The Q trim flows 11% more than the P trim

The Q trim is old school before the gtq trim came out and is not the same as gtq trim don't think they are the same.

The gtq trim makes about 30hp on a 70 turbo over the p trim
The gts trim makes about 50hp more than the gtq trim.

The x trim i dont have any info on yet, maybe someone can help.

Also the gt4276 is not the same as a gts76. The GTS76 uses the same wheels as a gt4276 but the center section uses the shaft cut down and uses a standard t4 center .81 tang exh and H compressor cover.

The X-Trim is Innovative Turbo Systems version of an S-Trim. The X-Trim spools the same as a GTQ and makes 45-50 more hp. :)

The X-Trim is just a newer more efficient wheel design. A 74DBB GTQ and a 74DBB X-Trim should both spool almost dead nuts the same and the X-Trim does flow better up top; I have seen this to be true numerous times… Now obviously if your engine is not up to taking advantage of the extra flow you may see less power gain, but the spool will be about the same.

What diff did Dave see?

Well the short and skinny of it is his car ran 9.23 @147mph with the PT70 GTQ and if I remember correctly the fastest it ran with the Innovative 70mm X-trim was 9.50's @142-143mph... Keep in mind this is with the Buick 3-bolt style configuration.. If I remember correctly he said the car needed more boost with the X-trim to make the same power as the GTQ so I'm guessing this means on the Buick V6 which has heads that don't flow very well you can't take advantage of the more efficient wheel.. I know on the 2JZ motors many guys run upwards of 40lbs of boost and because of the high flowing 3V head design it can take advantage of a more efficient wheel like the X-trim.

Interesting.

Yeah, I would have went to the 4 bolt T-4 style manifold If it were my car. I know the 74DBB X-Trim outspools the 71GTQ non ball bearing turbo on a Supra and it makes way more power too. I would think that on a GN that was set up to take advantage of it there would be big gains too. :)

so basically the S trim is the same as the x trim and better than the Q trim as im looking to rebuild/replace my pt-72 with either a Q or S/X trim dbb turbo in the next week and with all these trim options not sure which one would best fit my goals to stay with the 72 or throw caution and my block to the wind and go with a 76:eek:

A 76 will feel a little lazier off boost. A 76 is typically good for 40-50 hp more than a 74 with about 200-250 rpm diff in spool. A 74 DBB X-Trim is rated for 950+ hp and a 76X is rated for about 990. Actual spool and power numbers will depend on your setup...

nailheapowered.

What type of turbine housing downpipe setup do you plan on running?

What headers do you currently run?

What size CI motor are you running?

Are you going to run any Heads up Buick classes?

Reason I ask is, there are 8 different turbo configurations you could choose from in the 72,74 & 76mm size. Sure running a T4 Tangential style turbine housing will make more power, but if he's planning on running a Buick specific heads up class, there are rules that will limit the type of turbine housing used and the size of the turbo itself. I hear what you are saying WhiteT78Supra and do agree with you on some points, but these two applications are totally different. Mainly because the 2JZ is a million times more efficient than the LC2 with regards to head flow and rpm range. I've learned this not only from feedback from my Supra customers when I was at PTE, but also from my Buick friends who've run the exact same turbos that the Supras have run. The biggest would be the GT5531 and the GT4788 on all out Stage II headed TSO 1200hp+ class race cars.

If you are not planning on running a class that mandates a specific style turbine housing and the motor size is 248+ CI and you don't mind running whatever downpipe and wastegate you need to make it work, then I would suggest a PT74 GTS with dual bb and a Tangential .81 A/R housing. (1050 fwhp rating)

If you are running a class, then there should be a rule that states maximum turbo size allowed and turbine housing style.

If your motor is 231-235 CI and you want to maintain the 3-bolt style turbine housing, then you are currently limited to the GT-Q turbine wheel, until someone designs a larger 3-bolt turbine housing to work with the GT-S and the X trim turbine wheels. PTEs current line of 3-bolt Buick turbine housing turbos are made for the GT-Q turbine wheel. They offer both a .63 A/R and a .85 A/R turbine housing. THB3-80 and THB5-80. (Turbos include, 70 GT-Q, 71 GT-Q, 72 GT-Q, 74 GT-Q and 76 GT-Q in journal bearing or dual ball bearing.)

Precision Turbo & Engine - Turbocharger, Intercooler, Fuel Injector, Performance Parts & more!

This might be changing in the near future, but nothing official has been said yet.
Hope some of this helps.

Patrick

motor is a 231 bored 30 over and would be looking to go to the TA BLock down the road for a stage motor so wondering if i should just step up now and get a 76bb? also of the three manufactures out there which one seems to work the best innovation, precision, or turbonetics? Im sure i am opening a bag of worms with that question LOL.

3-bolt factory configuration?, or changing everything over to a T4 Tangential v-band setup?

If 3-bolt, then I would have to go with PTEs turbos. And 235 CI, I would say a PT74 GT-Q dual bb with a converter that will flash stall to 3800 would be pretty wicked, and give you enough turbo to grow into for that stage motor in the future. This turbo will definitely make enough power to push the 235 into the 9's without having to run super high boost.

T4 style is another story.

Patrick