Do I have a bad chip or is there another problem? TT Alky chip

Steve

I just put together a new 109 motor for my 67 Firebird. I fired the motor up and did the cam break in procedure then shut it down and changed the oil. I fired the car back up and the idle was very bad the IAC counts were up around 80 and I could not get them to go any lower. I thought maybe I had a vacuum leak or something similar but when I doublechecked everything I couldn't find anything wrong. I had a old Red's 108 chip for 55's(I have 60's but I thought it would be close) so I decided to try it to rule out the chip. When I installed the Red108 chip the idle smoothed out and the IAC counts went down to 18. I know the TT chip uses open loop idle and the RED108 uses closed loop so could that be why there is a difference or is the TT chip just bad? I have had the chip for a few years and it has always worked fine but course it has been handled so possbily it has gotten damaged in some way. Any adivce would be appreciated. Thanks

Steve

I just put together a new 109 motor for my 67 Firebird. I fired the motor up and did the cam break in procedure then shut it down and changed the oil. I fired the car back up and the idle was very bad the IAC counts were up around 80 and I could not get them to go any lower. I thought maybe I had a vacuum leak or something similar but when I doublechecked everything I couldn't find anything wrong. I had a old Red's 108 chip for 55's(I have 60's but I thought it would be close) so I decided to try it to rule out the chip. When I installed the Red108 chip the idle smoothed out and the IAC counts went down to 18. I know the TT chip uses open loop idle and the RED108 uses closed loop so could that be why there is a difference or is the TT chip just bad? I have had the chip for a few years and it has always worked fine but course it has been handled so possbily it has gotten damaged in some way. Any adivce would be appreciated. Thanks

Steve

If the heads or cam are different on this motor than what the chip was burned for you might need to get the chip re-burned. That is what I had to do when I switched to Champ. ported irons from stock ported irons and flat tap. cam to hydr. roller.

Hi Steve,
You can't use a 55lb chip for any type of comparison since it will be richer and cover up any other problems. I would reset the ECM and drive the car around a while to see what happens with the BLM at idle. It could be that it just needs to "learn".
Eric