Do You Own Any Other "Hot Rods"?

79 caprice coupe. I restored it. The kind with the wraparound rear window. Its dropped and has nice wheels. She's my daily driver. Slow as hell, but smooth, she always starts and turns heads.

95 Z28. Nice exhaust, low miles, 1 of 1 optioned car. I Hardly drive it. The woman in my life has been beating on it lately.(her car is broken)

85 AMC Eagle. 3 inch lift, cherokee 4.0 swap. My lady bought it as her first car(in near mint condition) in 2003. She blew it up, then kids smashed the windows and the interior was gutted. Total Basket case. Good off road potential.

02 wrx. Bought new at 21. Made 200 hp per liter, with stock internals.Beat on daily until 07 when the 2nd motor grenaded at 160mph. Once white, is now a lovely greenish lawn ornament now.

06 turbo legacy outback. My womans POS. fighting subie over the stock motor crapping out with 65k. It ate its rod bearings( a common problem they have tried sweeping under the rug) still waiting 5 months later.

Six speed, turbo diesel 05 f350. Lightly modified,4x4 stump puller. Mostly a work truck for towing. It pulls hard all the way to...95mph.

That challenger looks mean! Beautiful car.

This is my 79 Trans Am 400 4spd.

DSCN0618.jpg

OOH YEEAAH. I was looking for a T/A initially before ultimately going with a GN,wanted a GN since forever so went with it but part of me is second guessing. A T/A is definately in the future.

The thread is about hot rods & cool cars. Just what is it that makes a hot rod or a cool car? I think that's open to the owners interpretation.

Thank you
~JM~

I don't mind the idea of a 305. Sometimes its neat to work with what you got. Alot of guys keep whatever engine came in their car and they like to squeeze out performance from just an engineering /keep it original standpoint.

At one time I had a 1979 El Camino with factory 305, Aftermarket Holley 600 cfm, and Weiand aluminum intake. My buddy had a 78 El Camino with 350 and I always beat him. Got 24 miles to the gallon with a turbo 350 ( stock ). My 94 Grand Prix with 3.1 and 4 speed lockup auto only gets 26 to 27. ???

Not neccessarily "hot rods" ....

But I have a '69 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD with a 455 BB Pontiac and a '79 2WD Chevy Blazer with a stroker 350 (383) with a 373 posi........

Picture 044.jpg

Got a very clean 67 Mustang Fastback GTA tucked away in my garage. Just can't seem to get the time to get it back together. Other projects keep popping up.
Here it is, in the reflection of the GN.

portpaintturbo048.jpg

Engine compartment is ready for an engine.
portpaintturbo046.jpg

All I need is time and money.:eek:

Mike Barnard

Got a very clean 67 Mustang Fastback GTA tucked away in my garage. Just can't seem to get the time to get it back together. Other projects keep popping up.
Here it is, in the reflection of the GN.

Engine compartment is ready for an engine.

All I need is time and money.:eek:

Mike Barnard

ya know Mike ya have to find time or it isn't goin to get done !! BEEN THERE AN DONE IT with my 66. So what motor ya goin to put in it ?? 390/427/428 :D

My other toy...

69Novafront.jpg

With a run-of-the-mill 350, bored .030 with double hump heads, Edelbrock performer rpm intake, Holley 4 bbl, stock exhaust manifolds and a points style ignition. :eek:

motor02.jpg

And a vinyl bench seat interior with automatic transmission and a Kenwood cassette deck...

interior01.jpg

Not even close to being fast, but it still turns heads, gets thumbs up, the chicks even dig it.

ya know Mike ya have to find time or it isn't goin to get done !! BEEN THERE AN DONE IT with my 66. So what motor ya goin to put in it ?? 390/427/428 :D

Dan,
What I'd really like to stick under the hood is a stout Turbo Buick engine. Unfortunately, if I did that, I wouldn't have any friends.:eek: The mustang guys wouldn't want to come out to play, for fear of being spanked by a bastard-stang. The Buick guys would treat me like a red headed stepchild. It is kinda fun to ponder the performance possibilities of swapping the engine out of my mid ten second GN, and dropping it in a 2700 lbs car with a better drag coefficient. Oh well. I still have the old 302 CID sitting in the corner of the garage. I'll most likely just make it a 331 or a 347, throw some used AFR heads at it, and call it good. It's all just time and money. Both of which are in short supley right now.o_O

The good news is, unlike my dotcom stocks, it hasn't gone down in value.:eek:

Mike Barnard

Dan,
What I'd really like to stick under the hood is a stout Turbo Buick engine. Unfortunately, if I did that, I wouldn't have any friends.:eek: The mustang guys wouldn't want to come out to play, for fear of being spanked by a bastard-stang. The Buick guys would treat me like a red headed stepchild. It is kinda fun to ponder the performance possibilities of swapping the engine out of my mid ten second GN, and dropping it in a 2700 lbs car with a better drag coefficient. Oh well. I still have the old 302 CID sitting in the corner of the garage. I'll most likely just make it a 331 or a 347, throw some used AFR heads at it, and call it good. It's all just time and money. Both of which are in short supley right now.o_O

The good news is, unlike my dotcom stocks, it hasn't gone down in value.:eek:

Mike Barnard

hahaha.. we think alike .. I was goin to do a 66 GT 350 convertible clone like that to have some fun with !! Meanwhile the original one just sits. Hate to say it but moving it in and out of the garage ... wellll it's not comfy and the toothpick size of the steering wheel is just a hard thing to get use to. Good Luck with your project. I can't/won't do any more project cars.. I wouldn't live long enough to finish them. Oh I am on a few Cobra (real/kit car) sites. I told them about my new version of a Cobra (RX7/Buick). Most laughed it off.. A few got the point though. Love sleepers !!

Here are my other toys:

89 Firebird Formula - Blk / Blk - 305 TPI - 5 Speed Manual & TTops
1.jpg

1987 Monte Carlo SS - TSM GN Hybrid - Best the 80s G had to offer - right after paint
41166_10150239885445214_579165213_14326088_7003460_n.jpg

92 Camaro Z28 Convertible - Purple Haze over Tan Leather
350_84565915213_7079_n.jpg

Very nice rides! Here is my recently bought '94 Cobra. I was looking for a TR, but this one has low mileage and the price was unreal.

Attachments

• 420008_3015678156299_1392933892_32614284_242580472_n.jpg
    420008_3015678156299_1392933892_32614284_242580472_n.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 82
I wouldn't call anything that doesn't have some serious mods to mutiple points of originality modified a true 'hotrod'. Like I don't call my Riv one because to the eye, only the wheels and 87 LeSabre T-Type interior stick out. No non-Buick motor this, or heavily modified suspension that. Kinda like most of my stuff, small changes from stock that make it 'modified'.

Now, the '56 C-4500 that I'm building on a hybridized Regal chassis, That's a HotRod!

And the junk I'm lookin to pick up this weekend and combine!!!,,,, 86 Ranger XLT x-cab 4x4 and 78 F-150 4x4 for a suspension...!!!!
That'll be a HotRod!!!!

~JM~ said:
Here's a couple of pics of my real "Hot-Rod". See if you can guess what the engine is.

~JM~

It's a Caddy. Years ago I was doing a Chevy Suburban tow vehicle and was going Caddy 500, but ended up with a new Powerstroke F350 instead. I wish I would have finished it. Only standard shift Suburban I've ever seen.

Thanks
Coach.

Here are my other toys:

89 Firebird Formula - Blk / Blk - 305 TPI - 5 Speed Manual & TTops
1.jpg

1987 Monte Carlo SS - TSM GN Hybrid - Best the 80s G had to offer - right after paint
41166_10150239885445214_579165213_14326088_7003460_n.jpg

92 Camaro Z28 Convertible - Purple Haze over Tan Leather
350_84565915213_7079_n.jpg

I have a soft spot in my heart for TPI cars. Thanks for sharing. Those 5spd TPI cars were a tick faster than the 350/auto cars back in the day. TPI is best suited for a 305, IMO, but a high compression, alky fed, big runner 350 TPI can make power! Not as much as the new LS motors but it can be done. So many took them off though in favor of a carb or the LT1 style mini-tunnel ram. You keep a nice collection no matter what :)