Dodge Cummins on the Freeway

turbojkt

Two months ago I purchased my 3rd TR, an 87 Limited. I bought the car from the original owner and it was 100% stock down to the factory chip and had 146,000 miles on it. My 17 year old son and I were driving it to Las Vegas for the West Coast Nationals. The car was still stock except for the basic stuff like an adjustable accuator, 160 thermostat, chip, K & N style air filter, blocked off the coolant lines to the throttle body, cleaned the oil out of the intercooler, ported out the intercooler neck, and some other misc add ons. The car still has the stock fuel pump & fuel pressure regulator. The boost was set at 15lbs. I was in the right lane coming up on a slow truck going up one of the many canyons
and didn't want to get trapped behind it. A white Dodge truck was a few car lenghts behind us in the left lane, and as I went to change into his lane, the Dodge seemed to speed up as to not allow me to move over into his lane, so I called upon some boost and easily sped up to change lanes and Mr. Dodge truck didn't have to slow down at all. We eventually ended up being stuck behind slower traffic for the next 5 or 10 minutes.... after which I got in the right lane to maintain 75 MPH and allow faster traffic to pass by. I had forgotten about the Dodge until he shows up next to me, hesitates, and then floors the diesel, right as his exhaust is at the front of our car, and an abnormal amount of exhaust is pooring out, seemingly right in our faces!!! As if he was taunting me. Obviously done on purpose!! So I nailed the gas and he apparently saw me coming and kept his foot in it. It seem like I wasn't going to catch him. I must have been going 120 when I finally passed him or he let off. As I slowed down, he came
up along side and I gave him a "Thumbs Up" and also nodded for him to race again, this time more fairly. He leans over and reaches forward to his dash or to the floor, and..... WHAAAA, here comes the smoke again. This time we were only about 1 car length behind going about 70 when I floored it. When our Turbo Buick shifted into 4th gear,overdrive (probably about 110 MPH) we were 1 car length ahead. Seemed like it took forever to get there. We couldn't believe how fast that Turbo Diesel was. This time as he passed by us, he gave us the "Thumbs Up"! Watch out for them Cummins!!

Friday Oct. 8th my 17 year old son raced the car on street tires with 16 lbs boost. It was his first times down the track. The track was so sticky that he was able to launch with 5 lbs of boost, even with street tires. We were getting all 7 lights
on the knock detector by about 80-90 MPH, so the computer was probably taking out some timing on the top end. He ran a best of 14.05 at 97 with 16 lbs boost. On Saturday we put on the slicks, added some better gas, turned up the boost to 17 and he ran a best of 13.63 @ 99+. We were happy considering it still had a stock fuel pump, regulator, valve springs and 146,000 miles on the motor and trans.

As for the bracket racing, my son took second place in the 13.00 and up class, red-lighting in the final race. He did Awesome for his first time at the track!! He made a total of 14 passes down the track.....we took off the slicks and drove 400 miles back home @ 75mph and got 21 MPG.

John Tadje in Utah
87 Limited 12.29 @ 109 (4500 ft Elevation)
87 "T" 12.76 @ 106 (214,000 Miles on original factory
motor, with new cam, TA 49, & a rebuilt stock tranny) SOLD 2 months ago
87 Limited 13.63 @ 99 MPH (All stock)

Sounds like the guy turned on the propane, those trucks can be fast, and diesels definitely aren't afraid of the boost. Nice Kill, considering the weight of that truck is probably 5K+ he had to have been dropping some serious power.

More likely that Dodge pickup was tipping the scales at LEAST 6K lbs and probably closer to 7K. With injector, chip, turbo, exhaust and other mods, those inline sixes can crank out nearly 700 lb-ft of torque... (& if the trans. & rest of the driveline can take it, even more)

My bad, I was remembering the SRT-10 truck's in the 5000s, but that'd make sense since it's an aluminum block versus a massive iron diesel block

stock they are pretty good running trucks. a friend of mine has a 01 cummins with a 6 speed, it will smoke the wheels all the way through 2nd (1st is too low) and 1/2 the way through 3rd. even still i don't think its much more than a 17 sec. truck.

BUT with a chip any of those diesels can run. a guy i race with has an 03 duramax with a chip, 4" exhaust, some tranny stuff. he runs low 14's up here. thats without propane, and all the other stuff there doing to them.

there is a guy at bandimere i've seen twice, he has a twin turbo cummins on a dragster. i think hes running in the low 8's.

i have a 2002 old body style dodge cummins. Its a dually 4x4 extended cab- weighs 7800 lbs, runs 15.9s at 88 only exhaust, smallest upgrade fuel injectors,and a horsepower box-

surprises alot of people how fast it is rolling down the highway, and can pull down a house!

:D

I sell the Dodges and they are sweet. I outfited my GM's 03 2500 with only a computer and cold air and his 1st time out at bandamere he ran a 15.0 The truck stock was 305/555 now it Dynos out at around 400/789 cant recall exact #'s. We also ran a bone stock 3500 single wheel with the 325/600 and it ran very consistant 17.0's and a high 16. (actually took second place in its class at truckfest 04 here in Denver) not bad for a huge truck that can pull your turbo buick to the track and then run too!!

Keep in mind the SRT-10 ran a best of 14.7 wit6h a 2.2 60 foot and wheel spin all the way through. Granted I was being easy on the truck because i had to come back and sell it on Monday but not very impressive to be honest. (try explaining to the shop forman and GM why a brand new SRT-10 needs a clutch tires and what ever else I might have broke.)

My Cummins is a quad cab 4X4 and runs 12.90s to 13.30s depending on track conditions. I have a different turbo, injectors, and an Edge drag comp box. The tranny has also been upgraded by DTT to handle the 470 hp and 1000 lbs it produces at the rear wheels. It would have dynoed better on hp but I was having wastegate problems with the new turbo. Once a turbo lover always a turbo lover.:D

There was an older one (not the newest body style) at HRP one night. It was a silver extended cab and it looked like an old farmer's truck (not that there's anything wrong with that!), and he was handing some LS1s their derrieres. They will definitely surprise you!

On a similiar note, a neighbor has a 4x4 Dually 02 Powerstroke, with an *Edge* tuning module. The on board timer shows that it'll run ~14.7s in the 1/4......

Smokin all 6 tires, heavily, was fun.

700 foot Pounds isnt much for all those mods, my bro owns a 05 Duramax and the programers availible make them over 800 foot pounds being just plug and play.

Dan