Does anyone want a 3 downpipe?

Fritz-I will let anyone who wants one of these pipes have their choice on the connection at the test tube or CAT. The individuals who change from my connection will be responsibe of this attachment. Brad

Update- I received the flange with the puck today from Windmill. The flange is an exact match and fit perfectly on my stock spare turbo and waste gate actuator rod. When winter gives me a break I will take my car to the fabricator who will build the remaing part of the turbo elbow and into a 3 inch downpipe. I will keep you posted. Brad

Here a couple of PICs of the Windmill flange on my spare hot air turbo. Brad

Attachments

• IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 377
Thanks- It took me a little while to figure out how to post PICs and actually it is easy. Since I am the Guinea pig I will post PICS when necessary. I am going through with this project because I want a hot air 3 inch downpipe that works. If my fabricator comes through( He custom made the entire exhaust system for an 89TTA) with the custom part to replace the turbo elbow we are in good shape. I feel the fabricator can replace the turbo elbow and copy the 0-60 3 inch downpipe which does fit based on my research. Where this goes from here is to have the new downpipe built and installed. Once I know that it works after testing there will be a one time window for copies to be made. Let me get the 3 inch downpipe made. Everyone wants to know cost but I have no idea now. Thanks- Brad

Brad,
NICE work!
I still owe you some pics.

One word of advice:
Consider a SS DP. While it may be a bit more expensive initially, in a few months, You’ll be glad you did. :cool:

Good Work Brad...
I am down the road from Windmill (Craig). I had plan to do the same. I am in Grad school (Again:eek: ), so my time is in the books... I got a guy here in Birmingham that I used to mandrell bend my SVO downpipe. He said that he could fab my pipe for me. My best friend is a Welder at the Honda Plant and he also can help me out on weekends. I have some t304 j bends and u bends left over from my SVO 3inch downpipe. I bought this from Headers by Ed two years ago... Keep us posted...

Chuck

Well eveyone. It is time to get this downpipe built. The weather is finally backing off and I can see temp. above 32 degrees for the first time in a month and a half( where is global warming? All BS.). I have the flange which eliminates the turbo elbow and I will schedule an appointment tomorrow and see what my fabricator can do. Keep y0u posted. Brad

thumbs up

keep up the good work Brad. Hope that all that expressed interest will pony up with the $$ when the time comes.

Fritz- At this point I am going to get the new downpipe built soon and I will have PICS after it is built and info after testing. The PIC attached is the flange($150) on my spare turbo. Btad

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 296
I am going to my fabricator friday with my car, turbo flange, spare turbo and th 0-60 downpipe. I will let you know what he says as well as cost. Thanks- Brad

Well I have been busy with work so my response is a little late. After the trip to my exhaust fabricator and discussions with my mechanic the thought of a 3 inch downpipe are out the window.

The reason is very simple- The stock hot air turbo and the upgrade TA33C only exhaust 2 inches. A 3 inch downpipe simply is a waste of time and money utilizing the stock turbo setup. After some study nobody wants to build a bigger turbo for the hot airs.

What does make sense for the few remaining hot air guys is a 2 1/2 downpipe which integrates the puck and eliminates the turbo elbow. I am going to have this downpipe made next Monday and get pics and do some testing with it. If the pipe fits well with no dents and no leaks I will offer this downpipe to anyone who wants one.

The bottom line on the 3 inch downpipe is it is not any help for a hot air stock turbo housing. Keep you posted. Brad

Downpipe!!!

It has been proven that unless your running faster than bottom 11's a 3 inch downpipe is not necessary. I venture to say that there will be very few if any Hot Airs running that fast again. Lest face it most of want the bigger pipe because it looks cool to see that big pipe under the hood and plus because our little brothers tha 86-87 crowd have them. It's a man thing.

11's

I venture to say there will be more and more hotair cars running these times in the near future if not faster. also as far as the 3inch pipe goes its not going to hurt going to a 3in downpipe and just becuase 87 cars dont need to upgrade till there going low 11's doesnt mean we dont need to. we have several more bend in our dp then the intercooled cars have so i think we need to use 3in pipes. if i want to make a custom dp like rjc sales for my car 5in to 3 1/2 inch or so. cant hurt flow that for sure. ya it might be over doing it but you know that dp isnt holding you back

no. you can go with other turbos theres just a few steps you have to do because certin turbo companies no longer do the servies to allow you just to bolt the turbo in the car.