does this look normal to you?

B00stJunkie

So I'm still doing my research on the turbo buicks. I enjoy looking at the ones for sale and and looking at different parts a person has etc and found a, to the naked eye "clean" one. She is shiny sure, motor looks clean, chromed out, couple of go fast parts. Then I looked at the engine bay pictures a little closer.... it looks to me that the alternator is held on with a tow strap. Again still new to the grand national / Buick regals so tell me, normal or a rigged up alternator. Not going to buy this car but would like reassurance that this is in fact a part or a crap quick fix.

Dan
Screenshot_2014-01-08-16-35-39.png

thats a torque strap to limit movement of engine to prevent ripping motor mounts out and keep downpipe from hitting frame

Ok thanks. I just looked at another engine bay that has something similar to that. Just at first glance I thought it was rigged up with a tow strap. This is why I ask questions.... and the research continues!

Once you upgraded your motor mounts the strap became obsolete?

Or when the alternator bracket or tensioner breaks ;)
It's not the worst idea in the world - maybe just not the best place to try to strap a heaving engine down.

Once you upgraded your motor mounts the strap became obsolete?

Basically, yes. The new poly engine are much more effective. But they arent cheap. The torque strap was $30 or so when it was available, so it was a cheap, quick measure to help prevent a broken motor mount.

Never had a problem with my acc. bracket either.

Or when the alternator bracket or tensioner breaks ;)
It's not the worst idea in the world - maybe just not the best place to try to strap a heaving engine down.

Have you ever seen one a street/strip car break due to the strap???

I haven't nor have I ever heard of one doing so.

Are they pretty,no.

Do they work over having nothing but stock mounts, yes.

So when I go check out a gn and there is no sort of strap or brace etc, I (and I hate to use the word) should assume either the mounts are upgraded or the motor has moved due to factory mounts being old? Is there a sure tell sign I could look for that would tell me the engine has moved?

So when I go check out a gn and there is no sort of strap or brace etc, I (and I hate to use the word) should assume either the mounts are upgraded or the motor has moved due to factory mounts being old? Is there a sure tell sign I could look for that would tell me the engine has moved?
Start the car up, grab the throttle linkage, give it a few revs and look to see how much that motor rotates. Sometimes even while idling they shake a bit. I wouldn't worry too much if a car has or does not have that strap. Original mounts are going to be old and worn anyway. Crawl underneath with a flashlight and take a look. For cheap insurance you can replace them with stock ones

Start the car up, grab the throttle linkage, give it a few revs and look to see how much that motor rotates. Sometimes even while idling they shake a bit. I wouldn't worry too much if a car has or does not have that strap. Original mounts are going to be old and worn anyway. Crawl underneath with a flashlight and take a look. For cheap insurance you can replace them with stock ones

Thanks man. Will be writing that information down in the things to look for notebook.

Just my opinion but I would venture to guess cinching it down too tight may have led to the breakage problems some have experienced with this strap. Overtighten the strap and you will quickly find where the weak point is. That and not having the second bracket that mounts to the block. Is it a band-aid? Yes, but if used sensibly it has its place and many have not had problems and still continue use them. I use one just to hold me over until I can get my damn mounts replaced ;)