Doing my F-body install...

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
My car was up to 203* coolant temps after just driving 5 miles. :eek: . That is not right.. Well after much reading and wanting to do this swap for years I have decided to go for it.

I purchased the 87-92 Camaro radiator from my buddy (zues1).

The car already had stainless steel braided trans lines.

Removed the old radiator, (completely rusty and clogged pretty bad!)
Removed the T-stat and it's a 160*

I took the fittings out of the old radiator and they went right in the new one and the lines were long enough to fit perfect! :)

I may eliminate the Oil cooler all together but I'm still on the fence about that, More convincing could sway me to do it ....

I'm still planing on running the stock single fan because I have a S.L I/C

Any input on this removal of the OIL cooler lines with a stock single fan with a S.L I/C ?? PLEASE POST WHAT I SHOULD DO.. ALONG WITH DETAILS ABOUT THE ONES WHO HAVE REMOVED THE OIL LINES AND HOW IT DOES..

Thanks!
Scot W.

You'll get many different opinions on this one.

If the car will see a lot of stop & go street cruising and such, it's good to keep the oil cooler although it's not an absolute necessity. If it's going to be more strip action - ditch it. If you ran a deep sump oil pan like RJCs, you could definitely get rid of it no matter what.

Mine has the oil cooler removed, stock fan.......the other day in Missouri it was 98 degrees.........my car never got above 180 with the F-Body radiator.

i like my oil nice and cool. i have the oil cooler hooked up to my PTS alum. radiator and a RJC deep pan with the Precsion relocated oil filter :)

I like the idea of keeping an oil cooler on a turbo car. Definately doesn't hurt to have it. I also have a single fan on my radiator and it does just fine.

Another Question!!!

I already had braided trans lines and the fittings and lines fit great into the factory internal cooler on the new F-body radiator.

** Has anyone just hooked up the trans lines to the radiator with a stock single fan?

** Will I be fine with putting the trans lines to the radiator cooler, Then remove the Oil cooler lines all together while just staying with the stock single fan??? (It DOES have a 160* t-stat)

Almost done but waiting on advise from people who have actually done it this way.. And Know that it works fine...

Thank You!
Scot W.

Scott, my car was a daily driver from 97-2001. Never had an oil cooler on it. Never had any issues later. That engine took some major abuse too:cool:

I also have never used the trans cooler on the radiator. Just use a very nice external cooler.

My .02

I did the Fbody swap a year or so ago, was already running an external trans cooler and went ahead with an external oil cooler, so the entire job took like 20 minutes. Temps have been great.

Is this it?

Proliance Ready Rad 433918 - Proliance Ready-Rad Radiators

Seems like a cheap alternative to getting say an aluminum radiator from g-body. But does it cool as well?
YEP, That's it!!

Today here in TN it was mid 70's here and at the Rod Run in bumper to bumper traffic and a traffic jam due to construction with only the stock fan and a FMIC my temps never seen above 180*... ;) After driving a little it went back down.

YES IT WORKS, AND WORKS "GREAT!"

Scot W.

I removed the oil cooler also.My temps are around 160-170.I had the stock fan on it and then later switched to the ramcharger fans do to the factory fan blades cracked.The temps are the same as with the stock fan.I only run the ramchargers on low speed though.

YEP, Thats it!!

Today here in TN it was mid 70's here and at the Rod Run in bumper to bumper traffic and a traffic jam due to construction with only the stock fan and a FMIC my temps never seen above 180*... ;) After driving alittle it went back down.

YES IT WORKS, AND WORKS "GREAT!"

Scot W.

But how does it work in the mid 90s with the TN humidity? ;)

2 or 3 cars ago the temps in NC summers averaged 170-180 (oil cooler lines removed and ramcharger fans)