Don't Buy the Rockauto.com ACDelco ICM

DaySleeper

Just a heads up that the $176 acdelco ignition module from Rockauto.com is not an original or even a reman original. The one they send you is not the one pictured and is the typical cheap knock off. They had to take mine back after a few conversations.

Just bought one, not from rock but same thing and it sent a code 41, got an original and no code car runs good. I am looking for a good fix as we speak.
Mike

I do not think that John Spina from Casper's would mind if I passed info from a discussion we had about about T-R electronics, and specifically what applies to the ignition module.

The components that were use in the original modules are no longer available after 30 years, so substitute items must be used. There in is the issue, no one, not even Delco, can produce an exact replica of the original part?

In the past few months I have tried many different "new" modules, and returned them all because of various issues.

The original modules are hit-and-miss with their performance and reliability based upon the many I have tried lately.

For a rather stock street cars, the old stock and some new ones may be OK, but when you up the boost and RPM, they start to give up.

In our performance built GN's with ~500 HP or more, a hot spark is necessary but not available even in the good original units we tested.

If you want performance and reliability, then it is time to step up to the TR6 which we have proven not only to be reliable, but noticeably improves performance which we have demonstrated on many local cars, and I still have 4 units on order.

My opinion is that if someone spends a few thousand $$$$$ on mods and engine upgrades, it is the smart thing for a few more dollars to bring the ignition system on the GN into the 21st. century!:)

I'm on the tr6 list but I would also like to drive the car in the mean time. For now the old one is hot wired and working okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought one, not from rock but same thing and it sent a code 41, got an original and no code car runs good. I am looking for a good fix as we speak.
Mike

Mike: I hope that you are able to come up with a solution here that isn't as pricey as the TR6. Please keep us posted!

Thanks!

Let me start by saying this is the only electronic part that i use from Autozone and it works great and has for years. I use to buy all my parts from them but started having issues and got fed up with them so one day i took them all back and they refunded my money for those parts,they didn't prorate them it was a full refund no questions asked.Hows that for a warranty.

This is the Autozone ignition module i use and it works great. Like i said above try it and after using it for awhile and you are not satisfied,return it for a full refund,can't get any fairer than that.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1987-Buick-Regal/Ignition-Control-Module/_/N-iidqmZ9n80t

Well the TR6 is far and away the best option to 100% fix the problem. The module is the problem and the Motorola version and design is not available like was said above. I have been scouring the country and have located a decent amount of NOS old modules that have been sitting in a warehouse for a long time. To be honest I don't really know for sure if they are the Motorola ones but I bought one to try and if they are good I will buy them all and make them available, the good news is the price is reasonable.
I will keep you posted
Mike

Mike: I hope that you are able to come up with a solution here that isn't as pricey as the TR6. Please keep us posted!

Thanks!

How many questionable modules and packs will you go through before the TR6 pays for itself? That was my calculation that decided my purchase. There are so many other reasons to get one on top of that. You won't be disappointed if you save up the coin. Even if you're car is otherwise stock. And as Nick stated, if you run more than factory boost, you really NEED a TR6.

How many questionable modules and packs will you go through before the TR6 pays for itself? That was my calculation that decided my purchase. There are so many other reasons to get one on top of that. You won't be disappointed if you save up the coin. Even if you're car is otherwise stock. And as Nick stated, if you run more than factory boost, you really NEED a TR6.
While I agree with this 100% I do have a large number of customers that want the car original or at least to look original. I need something for them too.

What chapped me was the Rockauto.com acdelco one had a picture of a totally original one on their website. The 87 was on the black plastic and the puddy/compound was tan. The wires were striped. The one that arrived was cheap crap.

Rock auto is the ultimate drop ship company. They have connections to the various parts warehouses around the country and ship directly from the warehouse. They don't have any inventory to know what something looks like the y just use the manufacturer's stock photos

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I don't think other than the photo Rockauto is to blame. This is strictly on GM. Standard brand is basically what is in everyone of their AcDelco boxes they just relabeled. They are not in the parts making business anymore just the box making business!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a conversation w/ a major speed parts supplier. I ordered a part, based on it's description. Wrong part. A call, and I got it rectified.
He explained that parts suppliers w/ big inventories use the part mfgrs descriptions, pics, etc.
These are often incorrect, resulting in my issue.
Rockauto is one of those sellers...

Mateo: Yes, there are a lot of things I "really NEED" for the car. TR6, time for the Razor kit, oh yeah, need some tires...You and Nick hit the nail on the head; with as much as has already been put into this project, why skimp on the things needed to (a) go faster, and (b) not blow up? She is one expensive mistress, for sure.

How long will these modules last? A year if that? How long does a tr 6 last? Or rather how long do we think? Figure the tr6 will pay for itself within a few years. And that's only counting price of part not labor spent installing. Eventually the original guys are going to have to step up to it bc they are not made w quality anymore. Maybe the eletrical geniuses of spina and bailey will come up w a factory looking one.. actually the original guys can save their good one buy a tr6 and when they're going to a judged show switch it out. Not hard. Something has to give can't get everything we want, after all we are not Chevy ford guys. We go against the grain and this is the small price we have to pay.