double roller timing chain

gn79

How do you konw if you have a double roller or not. How would it look compare to a stock steel timing set. Would the timing chain be tight with little to no play or would it have a lot of play. I am asking because I just changed the front cover on my car and it had a replacement timing set, but the odd thing was that the cam button was still the stock one and it did not have a tensor on it. I been having some problems with the car and a loose chain might expan things. Also what would a loose chain effect on the car.

first off, the double roller will have 2 rows of "teeth" vs the single row of the stock set. If it is a DR, there should NOT be a tensioner in there. There should NOT be much if any play in the chain. You would prob have a stumble with slack in the chain[

1851014.GIF

Be careful, there are cheap roller chains which are not well made or prestretched, and will not work any better than the stock chain. Plus, since you can't use the tensioner, the chain will get sloppy after it stretches.

Thanks guys, it did look kind of stange there. the last owner did some things to the car that I am having to fix myself. I did upgrade the cam button with a new one. I dont konw why they left the stock one on, who ever did the timing chain. THat goes to show you dont ever turst anyone to do a job right on your car.

Originally posted by gn79
How do you konw if you have a double roller or not. How would it look compare to a stock steel timing set. Would the timing chain be tight with little to no play or would it have a lot of play. I am asking because I just changed the front cover on my car and it had a replacement timing set, but the odd thing was that the cam button was still the stock one and it did not have a tensor on it. I been having some problems with the car and a loose chain might expan things. Also what would a loose chain effect on the car.

A loose or stretched chain would cause the cam's timing to be retarded a few degrees. Last timing set I did, I used a degree wheel and found that the timing of the cam was advanced 4* w/ the marks straight up and down. I was glad that the True Roller gear set I had would allow 4* of adjustment either way.