Downside to stock manifolds and pipes?

terryk

I just finished putting the stock manifolds, crossover and down pipe on the TT. I had ATR's but I was tired of the problems sealing the crossover, lack of access to the rear upper control arm camber/caster bolt for alignment (I know, it's only needed rarely) and not being able to run the shield for the bushing. The ATRs cracked just like the stock system so that's a wash.

Since I got the car with the ATRs installed I get to see how it feels going back to stock.

Well, the spool up is far faster, the power is smoother and it's tons quieter (outside of leaks). I'd have to take it to the track to really know but the power doesn't seem down at all.

Since I'm more of a mountain road driver than a dragster, the stock system and the faster spool up goes with the driving style better than the ATRs. I didn't change anything else.

So what's the downside?

Terry

I wish!

Well, not really. 13.00 is my requirement. Maybe mid-12's at best. I drive curves rather than straight line.....but there is the occassional Mustang and import although the Mustangs usually look the other way.

The stock system is so much quieter and it runs as well as it did with the ATRs.

I'm happy.

Fix (TIG weld) the stock pass side manifold and reinforce between the 3 and 5 tubes. The stock manifolds work just fine well into the low 10's. Why put up with leaky ill fitting pipes? The stockers work just fine.

DR