Drag slick recommendations.

REGALTURBO

I Am The Master..Master..
Time for some drag slicks. On a 8in Weld wheel with 3 1/2 in backspacing, what is the common slick size everyone is using? Is a 28x10 too big? or should I go with a 28x9? Keep in mind I already have an Art Carr 9in and Moser axles. My combo should be good for high to mid 11s I hope. With so many brands to choose from... Goodyear, M/T , Hoosier, M&H.. Also who has the best prices?

28X9's work just dandy for me (MT ET Drags)

with a 3.5" BS you can fit 28X10's ok but I don't think you'll gain a thing with them

Yep...28 X 9 ET Drags for me also...those alone knocked more than a tenth off my 60ft...previously had ET Streets...are you sure you want to put them on nice wheels because you'll most likely have to use rim screws...

I didn`t think I needed rim screws at the 11sec. horsepower level. I will take it into consideration. Has anyone had their rim spinning on a slick at the 11sec. level?

wheel screws

I didnt think I needed screws either till i tried to stop a 4200lbs olds after a low 12 run. wasnt much fun on one flat rear tire. When the wheel spun and the tire didnt it tore off the valve stem made a full pass then the fun began!

I think the need for rim screws is more a result of how hard you launch not what times the car runs...my first launch on the ET Drags at 10 PSI the tire moved about 1/2" on the rim...so hello rims screws...

Originally posted by REGALTURBO

Also who has the best prices?

Make double-da*n sure you deal with an HONEST, WELL-KNOWN, and VERY RELIABLE source. If any doubt, post their name & business name here.

HTH :)

Originally posted by MSDGN

So hello rims screws...

If it's a drag slick...for sure use the rim screws!

The cost of safety is always cheaper than the alternative.

HTH :)

Originally posted by lazaris
Anyone compare a MT 28x10.5 to a Hoosier 28x10.5? Which did you prefer?

Go to a NHRA meet and check out the stock and super stock classes, very few MT's as compared to lots of Hoosiers.

Pay the few $$ extra and go with Hoosiers.

Maybe on of these days I will have a problem, but in recent years have never run rim screws or tubes with slicks.

28X9's are IMHO the perfect tire for a 8" wheel they lay down a solid foot print everytime. As far as which one is best I've used both. Depending on surface and car both work well. A few things I do remember is the ET Drag's didn't like heat and the Hoosiers did and as they got older the Hoosiers stopped hooking (sixties fell to 1.7's from high 1.5's)while the ET's hooked till the cord was showing:eek:

28x9 M/T ET drags screwed to the rims. M/T slicks 9" wide are supposed to be softer compound than the 10" wide slicks they sell. I run the 28x9's with 14psi in them Last time out three out of my five 60's where in the 1.4's the other two where low 1.5's. The best being 1.462 launching with 8 - 10psi off the foot brake. If I had more power I think I could get some better times because the tires seam to be holding what ever I send at them.

HTH: Jason
p.s: The 28x9's grab plenty hard enough to yank the front wheels off the ground ;)

ok...as far as vendor I`m probably looking at Jegs or Summit unless someone knows of anyone else who has them at a better price. As far as rim screws. I see its a piece of added insurance so how many per side per wheel? Seems ET drags or Hoosiers are the tires to get.

What about M&H Racemasters??? They have some interesting sizes available... 27x8., 27x9. , 28.5x9.0, 27x10. Prices are very compeitive, an excellent tire as well.

Just my .02

Rod

Are you guy's recommending the 28" & up tire diameter because your running taller rear end gears or because it gives a larger contact patch?

Just curious.

I'm running 3.42's still. Just wanted to reduce rpm with stock cam. With tc locked, I was passing the traps at 5500 rpm. I prefer not to rev that high. Larger contact patch was just a bonus for me.

Rod

I'm using Phoenix 10.5 X 28.5 slicks on 8in. rims with 3.5 back spacing and they're great. It's the biggest I can stuff inside the wheel wells too...
Claude :)

I have 28x10.5x15 MT Drags on Weld Draglite 15x10 with 4.5RS. Its a tight fit rub but no rub. Thats just about the biggest tire and rim you can fit underthere without notching the frame.