Drive Shaft Install, What am I missing?

boosted-para

I am trying to install the drive shaft in the car, but it won't go in. What am I missing?
I see on the ds yoke a spacing for like 2 spline but I do not see it on the output shaft. I can get the shaft to go in about 1-1.5 inches and that's all.

Is there a dbl spline I am not seeing in the trans? Or is there way to tell from the outside? I do see the number stamped into the end of the output shaft "15". But no other marks I can identify.

Any help,

Thanks,

Jay

I am trying to install the drive shaft in the car, but it won't go in. What am I missing?
I see on the ds yoke a spacing for like 2 spline but I do not see it on the output shaft. I can get the shaft to go in about 1-1.5 inches and that's all.

Is there a dbl spline I am not seeing in the trans? Or is there way to tell from the outside? I do see the number stamped into the end of the output shaft "15". But no other marks I can identify.

Any help,

Thanks,

Jay

You could have some twist in the slip yoke splines that are preventing it from going in all the way.

Is this the shaft/yoke you took out? Are you using any lubricant? How long has the ds been out? Have you moved it a couple splines around? What does the yoke look like? It has to fit into the bushing in the output housing. Maybe a once over with some steel wool or emery cloth to knock down any surface rust.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I am sorry yes, this is the shaft from the car, there is no rust on the yoke.
I used some bearing grease on the inside of the shaft, and sprayed some wd40 into the output shaft. I am able to slide it in, just not far enough to be able to swing it into the rear end. Seems like it is about 1 inch short.

I am baffled, never had this before

The grease can cause the yoke to keep an air pocket in there and prevent it from sliding all the way in. I have used a pry bar on the axle end to "force" it. Just have to be careful and not pry on the u joint surfaces so as not to mar them.

Hhmmmm that's a thought. It has been several years since I last put it together. But like I said the yoke is clean and the trans has been protected.

Do u kno if there is a dbl spline on the output shaft to match the drive shaft?

I'm not sure what you mean by double spline.

Here is a pic of the output up that went into my trans.

Ok inside the yoke I have an opening for what looks like 2 splines wide. Like maybe 2 of the splines on the output shaft are side by side.
But I see by the pic what

Is the inside of the yoke clean? If there is a buildup of stuff it could be holding you back. Brake cleaner and a wire brush could help.

First get rid of the grease in the yoke, like TexasT stated its probably causing the problem. Then you can use a couple of drops of light oil or even trans fluid. I would inspect it real good and make sure it doesnt look like this (burrowed the pic from somewhere else).
slip yoke.jpg

Excellent, does everyone see the widened space at almost the 12 o'clock position? That's the gap I am talking about, that's a relief to know it's not just me.

Yep, I will use some brake parts cleaner and and clean it up again. I am unable to do it today, but will report back in am after trying it.

Excellent, does everyone see the widened space at almost the 12 o'clock position? That's the gap I am talking about, that's a relief to know it's not just me.
The widened space you are referring too is correct. I have 2 driveshafts here with it and the yoke I use to build has it also. See pic.
Was the rear tail bushing changed in the transmission?

200-4R_yoke.jpg

No Dave it wasn't. That's what is baffling me. B4 my accident I had the shaft out a few times and never had a problem with getting it back in. Now I can't get it in or figure out why. I had a significant head injury and sometimes have problems remembering things. That's Y I am so confused.

The rearend is up on jackstands. The wt of the car is on it. Still not enough room. Frustration has set in again :mad:

Well, I give up. I scrubbed the outside of the yoke, cleaned the inside with steel wool and brake parts cleaner, was spik and span. Still will not go in