dual feed drag

VIN7

Out of the blue...

When cold (relative, I'm in So Flo) my dual fed trans binds/drags at part throttle on the 2-3 shift. Once up to temp it shifts normal (quick/firm).

Any ideas?

Thanks

What's the band clearance ? I'm planning on dual feeding mine in the near future so I'll be keeping an eye on this.

i guessing you have discussed the prob with the builder?

It was shifting fine for about 1500 miles and whatever happened I believe kept the 2nd gear band applied after the 2-3 ratio change and ultimately smoked it. Yep, shifts 1 to 3, manually pull down to 2nd from 3rd and it free wheels...*^&*%&*%^&%*&(

Smoked band, band broke or the pin broke.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

When it cools off I'm going to pop the servo out. After the 2-3 I could feel the drag until I let off the throttle. I run the radiator cooler plus external, and my coolant temps were about 20 degrees hotter than usual after the 2-3 bind up thing started. Now with it shifting from 1 to 3 coolant temps are back to normal.

I'm about the pin that holds the other end of the band to the trans under the vb. Or the band itself where the pin holds the band.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

The anchor is billet but I have broke the mounting lug before on this type of band. I'll pull the trans and see what's up (once I get motivated, I'm about 'transmissioned' out)...

With engine off. Get something and depress the servo...If it moves in more than 3/16 to a 1/4 ...... 9 times outta 10....lug ripped off the band.

Sigh, I buggered up the outer seal lands on the servo piston prying it out of the case (expensive lesson, CK billet servo), however the larger seal (closest to the band side) had a 3/4" tear. Not sure if I did that or it was already torn. My question is would that tear have resulted in the 2-3 bind that suddenly appeared? I have a new servo on the way, along with CK's book.

Here's how the problem progressed.
~1500 miles since install everything is well, firm, positive shifts with negligible bind on 2-3 at very light throttle. WOT had crisp shifts

One day after track outting I noticed the 2-3 bind at light throttle, went away as trans gets up to temp (start to notice 15-20* increase in coolant temps, I have in rad cooler then external)

Drop pan and retorque valvebody, now 2-3 bind doesn't go away when trans up to temp. Feel drag after 2-3 shift, have to let off throttle for drag to go away.

Lose 2nd gear, shifts 1 to 3, pull servo.

Last edited:
Replaced servo with new CK billet piece and got 2nd gear back but...it is only a slight bump 1-2 at light throttle, no bind 2-3. Any more throttle and it slips, all the friction material is in the pan, sigh. I'm tempted to replace band myself but I don't know for certain if the tear in the servo seal was what caused it to start dragging the band in the first place.