Dyno numbers

jstites

Put the stock TTA on a drum dyno today....
275.94 Horsepower, 375.99 torque at 5000 rpm......

Sounds pretty strong for a car that was advertised at 250hp at flywheel 19 years ago.

Sounds pretty strong for a car that was advertised at 250hp at flywheel 19 years ago.

not bad for a stocker !

oh yeah...they supposedly put down 301hp on a GM dyno ;)

mine stock put down 230hp & 325ft lb @ 3700 :frown: turned out I had bad valve springs and ignition wires...valves started floating ~3500. Never got it back on the dyno after I replaced the springs and wires.

-Scott

301hp on a GM dyno ;)

mine stock put down 230hp & 325ft lb @ 3700 :frown: turned out I had bad valve springs and ignition wires...valves started floating ~3500.
That's about what mine put down when it had about 7k miles on it...but dyno numbers are like financial books...you can make them say just about anything unless the exact same settings are used on every dyno so a 25% difference between dynos is not uncommon. I order to use dyno #s to gauge power differences, the exact same settings and correction factors and near the same humidity/baro conditions must exist for each dyno pull as the previous time used.
If the torque/hp graph drops strongly after 3500rpms, then yes the springs would make a big difference in the power up top, but you won't gain another 50rwhp after 3700rpms with these motors. The tq/hp is fairly flat from 3k-5k.