Dyno# Twin Turbo GN running 16 lbs --pinging???

hey Dave be careful on the tuning unless you did some major changes in it, that Motec and the other stuff (MSD, etc...) were all specifically dynotuned for the car by the Duttweiller shop. The motor revs like lightning quick and it feels like you are driving a small car so better hang on to it. The previous owner said they got 1,200 crank horsepower. John Wilde will be a good resource person. I'm glad you got it running, good luck.

daverr said:
Dyno Numbers

hello,
recently i took my GN to a local dyno to get some base line runs. I made two runs on 93 octane ,which i think was a big mistake.I should of been on the safe side and run race gas. Well anyways i thought for sure the engine could easily run up to 6500 rpms.Power peaked at 5700 rpms than it Maybe missed or pinged causing dips in the hp curve(see above pics).Fuel pressure never dropped and peaked at 60 psi with boost.

1.So my question is what could cause this dip ,detonation, could it be tune, octane,plugs?????
2. Could the turbo cause this car to peak alot earlier than i expected (5700rpms instead of 6500)???surely there is more power to be gained at higher rpms, or no??
3. If i raise boost will it peak even earlier???
4. Dyno operator said AF was alot higher than he would feel safe with at 93 octane, whats your take??

Orginally i thought the turbos were 60-1 ,i was told the turbos look alot bigger than 60-1.here`s a pic of the engine bay

Engine bay pics
that's a 60-1s on a different housing? can not install bigger turbos then everything else will change, once you get these twin singing to its full potential you will not ask for more. Do not touch the Motec!

Sounds to me like you have a lot going on with this car. I highly suggest you get it to someone that knows what is going on before you end up with a pile of broken parts. You can not just take stabes at best guesses with this level of power & the test needed to pinpiont the problems instead of hoping for a hit fix are needed very much.

The problem will be in plain site when the right person has it on the dyno, they will know what needs to be done.

But if you must go down the road that you are then if the fuel & timing are right I would look into the ignition breaking down at these levels and maybe the valve springs are letting the valves bounce when the boost is this high, or possibly to tight a valve ajustment. If you lower the boost does the problem still happen? Ofcourse many things could be happening.

Sorry to be alittle blunt but the truth is the truth.

Jess

2swoosh said:
hey Dave be careful on the tuning unless you did some major changes in it, that Motec and the other stuff (MSD, etc...) were all specifically dynotuned for the car by the Duttweiller shop. The motor revs like lightning quick and it feels like you are driving a small car so better hang on to it. The previous owner said they got 1,200 crank horsepower. John Wilde will be a good
resource person. I'm glad you got it running, good luck.

Give me an address and I will Fed Ex you the check! :wink:

2swoosh said:
hey Dave be careful on the tuning unless you did some major changes in it, that Motec and the other stuff (MSD, etc...) were all specifically dynotuned for the car by the Duttweiller shop. The motor revs like lightning quick and it feels like you are driving a small car so better hang on to it. The previous owner said they got 1,200 crank horsepower. John Wilde will be a good resource person. I'm glad you got it running, good luck.

Car runs but not 100%. This is a big project for me which is ok , as i am learning along the way. I am sure i should be able to get this car back to what it was or close to.

I took the car to the dyno again. This time it was on a Mustang dyno. I also fattened the mixture alittle, it didnt like too much.It made it`s best power with a fuel ratio of 12.1 .Timing was at 24*. The power peaked alot earlier on the Mustang Dyno. Is the Vehicle weight number needed to get an accurate dyno number???(i put 3800lbs)

it made 479 hp @ 4000 rpm 629.6 ft-lbs @ 4000 rpms at 17 psi boost.

The best dyno numbers were with the exhaust dump open

538 hp @ 4250 664 Ft-lbs @ 4000 rpms at 19 psi boost.

I thought Stage 2 like to rpm high. The power would quickly climb peak and fall.

Check out the vids .In the second video there was alittle fire.

http://www.members.aol.com/dav9rr/GN/Chasisdyno.mov

http://www.members.aol.com/dav9rr/GN/Chasisdyno2.mov

it was the header wrap on the driverside that caught on fire.I removed the passengerside wrap.No one messed with the cam timing, not that i know of.

Maybe the exhaust housings are too small??? The strange thing is with the dynojet it would peak rpm higher , with the mustang dyno the car peaked earlier.