ECM for 87 TR

87gninpa

WEll unfotunately im in desperate need of an ecm for my 87 gn. i know the part number is 1227148, but what cars did these come in? i know its only cars with the 3.8, but what years, models??? also, are they as easy to get out of other cars as they are of ours?

Look in the 86-7 fwd cars that have the 3.8L in them...They are usually behind the glove compartment under the dash...They can be a pain to get to and get out, but well worth it...Usually for $50 or less, depending on if the salvage yard is a U-Pull-It type(cheaper), or one that you walk up to a counter and they already have them pulled and on the shelf(more expensive)...

do you know what models had the 3.8 in them? i went today and checked a bunch witht he 3.8, but the were all 89-92 cars and not the right number.....

Not sure on models, but look at all GM makes, Buick, Olds, Pontiacs, maybe even some Chevy's...Must be 1986-1987 years...Any of the fwd cars that have the 3.8L motor in them...The later models had a slightly different motor, referred to as the 3800...completely different animal...All the 86-7 fwd 3.8L motors have the correct 148 ecm in them...

Look at the Skylarks, Electra's, Park Avenue's, Cutlass's(fwd), not sure on particular Pontiac's models at the time...But really, anything with the 86-7 3.8L motor in it...

The only non turbo cars ECM 1227148 came in is 1986:
Buick: Park Ave,LeSabre,Century
Olds: Regency98,Delta88,Ciera
The 8th character of the VIN will be the letter B or the number 3.
They are only found in the 1986 model year.

I was at the yard today and took an ecm out of what seemed a 1986 ciera. there was no vin on the car but a sticker said something about it met all requirements for vehicles manufactured in 1985, that would make it an 86 right? it had the 3.8 motor, but there was no label on the ecm

VIN code B and 3 are 3.8 SFI NA engines. The emissions label will say meets 1986 regulations. 1985 wont work, that year used a distributor and not DIS.