Edelbrock vs. 4.1 combo

Aj, he's right about using the Q-jet but he's wrong about the parts not being available. I have a ton of them including 2 800 cfm versions. The only 2 parts in the carb that are electronic are the mixture solinoid and the tps and I've never had a problem getting either. Q-jets have been even been used by chrysler and ford for their high performance engines.

really? where do you find these parts? I have looked several times over the years and have found if I wanted the electrical parts I would had to buy a reman carb from autozone for close to $350 and that defeats the purpose of rebuilding the carb

No emissions requirements here in Alberta, Canada. I went with the edelbrock combo + 500cfm edel carb. We'll see how it does. As for hood issues I don't know what they will be since this engine is going in the back of a Fiero.

The hood issues are with a Buick Regal. I went with an Edelbrock Chrome air cleaner and a 2" air filter. The Edel is already a high-rise, but I put an additional Phenolic spacer just for the heck of it.

The 4.1 I have is ported and I used the spacer, the Edelbrock still outclassed it, especially around the mid 1500 rpm range. Nonetheless, I am still a fan of the 4.1. It was OEM and well suited for mods. Never tried the Yunick intake.

really? where do you find these parts? I have looked several times over the years and have found if I wanted the electrical parts I would had to buy a reman carb from autozone for close to $350 and that defeats the purpose of rebuilding the carb

I bought my TPS from AutoZone. As for the MCS it's expensive, ($35.00 on up). You can get it online at Cliffs Q-Jets or Carbs Unlimited or order it thru AutoZone. Most people don't know how to troubleshoot it and mis-diagnose electronic Q-Jets and blame the MCS.

I've pulled them from junked Q-jets that have been sitting in crud for years and they still work. However, the TPS is known to croak easily. That is why they are still available. They cost about $25.00. Those are the only electronic parts in a Q-Jet other than the electronic choke, (and I've never ever came across a bad choke, they never die).

I have had 1 bad choke in 27 years of working on cars for a living so I doubt you'll find a bad choke thermostat. You may have power or groud issues but not issues with the t-stat istself.

the smokey yunick intake is a pain to run.... just way tooo much for a 3.8 and barely OK on a worked 4.1

It just kills low end like crazy, making it a dog off the line but really screams up to about 6500.

I run a holley 450 on it now, and its ok... chokes at the top but made the difference in the bottom. I had a spread bore holley 750 on it and it was the king.... much like a q jet but not a pain to build.

IMHO the smokey intake is not a good street intake at all

A.j.

The hood issues are with a Buick Regal. I went with an Edelbrock Chrome air cleaner and a 2" air filter. The Edel is already a high-rise, but I put an additional Phenolic spacer just for the heck of it.

i think im just going to be able to have clearance w/out the spacer. Before i put the intake in to try it, it looked too tall

...i think im just going to be able to have clearance w/out the spacer. Before i put the intake in to try it, it looked too tall

It was a tight fit with the spacer. As I now remember I had to use it because the Edelbrock is not a direct fit for a Q-Jet, (it was designed with the Edelbrock carb in mind). The adapter was a 1" hiker to bolt on to the intake.

Make sure you don't have any broken motor mounts or you'll dent the hood. I cut out the center of the "X" frame in the hood so the chrome air cleaner woud'nt get scratched.

Attached pics are w/4.1 intake and Edelbrock intake...

Attachments

• 4.1 Intake.jpg
    4.1 Intake.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 4.1.JPG
    4.1.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Edelbrock Intake.jpg
    Edelbrock Intake.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Edelbrock.JPG
    Edelbrock.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 137
Looks good Freddie. Did you put a cam in it or go stock? No headers?

Look closer....you'll see the headers. It has a Kenne Bell Mark II cam. But that was then. Now she's a differant animal.

I tried differant combos slowly progressing up the ladder. With what I have now I feel it was a learning curve. I could only imagine what the SFI cars put out.

With all the leftover N/A stuff I have I plan to build something for my son. I am fixed on the 3.8 or 4.1 but I am thinking along the lines of a flex fuel. After all these years....I'm still dreaming. :frown:

Pics are a little to small for me to see much other than the intake and carb. Post a bigger one of you have it.

Naw dont have one. If you look at the lower right hand side pic you can barely make them out, (Pace Setters).

the smokey yunick intake is a pain to run.... just way tooo much for a 3.8 and barely OK on a worked 4.1

It just kills low end like crazy, making it a dog off the line but really screams up to about 6500.

I run a holley 450 on it now, and its ok... chokes at the top but made the difference in the bottom. I had a spread bore holley 750 on it and it was the king.... much like a q jet but not a pain to build.

IMHO the smokey intake is not a good street intake at all

A.j.

I never knew that smokey yunick played with the buick v6, I almost got my hands on one of his crossrams for a small block chevy. I want to find more about this intake, i can afford the loss of bottom end since my machine only weights 2300 lbs with me in it. how does fair against a kenne belle single plain?

I never knew that smokey yunick played with the buick v6, I almost got my hands on one of his crossrams for a small block chevy. I want to find more about this intake, i can afford the loss of bottom end since my machine only weights 2300 lbs with me in it. how does fair against a kenne belle single plain?

I prefered the kenne bell intake way over that weiand/smokey unit. just flows way too much for a street engine. the kenne bell has smaller runners, and less plenum, it is just more appropriate for street use.

I ran my weiand combo at 2560 race weight, and even then was still really doggy on the bottom. the smokey is truly a high RPM asphalt circle track intake - as far as I can tell.

go for the edelbrock, when ported... it will flow more than enough for what you need.

A.j.

It was a tight fit with the spacer. As I now remember I had to use it because the Edelbrock is not a direct fit for a Q-Jet, (it was designed with the Edelbrock carb in mind). The adapter was a 1" hiker to bolt on to the intake.

Make sure you don't have any broken motor mounts or you'll dent the hood. I cut out the center of the "X" frame in the hood so the chrome air cleaner woud'nt get scratched.

i already know my right motor mount is broken so we have to replace it. i might have to take out the hood lining, but other than that it looks to be ok.

I prefered the kenne bell intake way over that weiand/smokey unit. just flows way too much for a street engine. the kenne bell has smaller runners, and less plenum, it is just more appropriate for street use.

I ran my weiand combo at 2560 race weight, and even then was still really doggy on the bottom. the smokey is truly a high RPM asphalt circle track intake - as far as I can tell.

go for the edelbrock, when ported... it will flow more than enough for what you need.

A.j.

Thanks for the advice. This little monza is my first buick motor build and I have learned alot through this build. I was thinking of using the kenne belle (which I've been running ever since the was legal I ran the 4.1 intake for awhile in stealth mode) for when I go boosted just welding the injector bungs and get throttle body elbow, but I'm not sure

You know with all of this H-body talk I might have to go and wake up my skyhawk and see how he is. LOL

I know the idea your thinking of, as thats exactly the direction I am in now with my orange LUV, with the exception that I want to keep it draw thru instead of fuel injection.

but on that note, there are things you need to take into account if this is what you really want, boosted flow and N/A flow are 2 very very different things. and trying to use the same manifold might give you some less-than-desirable results. thus my experiment of making a carb adapter for the 86-87 intake took a massive power dive when driven.

this is where the huge runners and plenum size of the weiand/smokey intake shine.... using a brodix turtle inside to control distribution... you have the makings of a stage 2 style intake without the work. its a great boosted intake for a serious torque curve with a nice top end. Just a little food for thought.

:biggrin: A.j.

You bum. Send me a pic of the old hawk Aj. I don't have any of mine sadly. I had a ball with it and I wish I could resurect it but for now it's in the weeds.

thanks again right now its still in the works nothing is set in stone, I want to makes sure I have everything right before I start. I'm still learning the buick motor and turbo set ups at the same time and there lots to learn, but when I get it done it will be on here

intake, 4 b

I have used the KB 4 barrel intake with great satisfaction. First it was on a oddfire engine in a kit car, then on a evenfire V6 Buick engine in a S10 pickup and now it as on the same V6 in a TR7 FHC. All engine RAN great.
Diver