Elec. crankcase evac setup...testing.

unix_punk

Finally got all the pieces together on this evac system...
Pic 1:
Cut a bigger hole in a stock pass vc breather and rtv'd in a replacement vc grommet along with a -12 90deg bulkhead fitting.
Pic 2:
Line comes from vc to catch can and from catch can towards the evac pump.
Pic 3:
Line coming from catch can into -12 tee. One end to the pump and the other end is the replacement for the pcv valve which also draws through the catch can. other port on the pump just has a check valve sticking out temp. you can also see the relay a bit and the temp boost/vac gauge hooked up to the dipstick tube. also off the (already converted) brake booster you can see a check valve and the hobbs switch to activate the evac pump. The valve cover breather on this side has been plugged up.
Pic 4:
Pcv replacement with a check valve behind the plenum.
Pic 5:
Plugged up pcv valve.

If anyone wants more info on how it works let me know. But as of now I'm a little dissappointed because the elec pump is only pulling 3 in/hg with the car off. At idle i see about 5 in/hg of vacuum in the crankcase. I am thinking there is a leak/something I forgot to plug off. If anyone one has any insight into what else might allow air into the crankcase I'd appreciate it. Both vc, pcv and dipstick are all plugged.

Attachments

• vc.jpg
    vc.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 237
  • can.jpg
    can.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 235
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 237
  • plenum.jpg
    plenum.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 236
  • pcv.jpg
    pcv.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 238
Its a 97 cobra evac pump. Supposedly it's internally regulated at 10in/hg, but unfortunately I have yet to see evidence to support that, unless its at an extremely low volume...maybe I need another pump... :)

Also one more correction...the 5 in/hg at idle is not with the pump running...just the manifold vacuum pulling that 5 in/hg. I still have to wire an LED in the car so I can tell when the pump comes on because I just gave it a test run and I couldn't hear it turn on.

There seems to be 10in/hg missing somewhere as manifold vacuum at idle is never above 15in/hg but I only see 5in in the crankcase. I need to find where that air is being allowed in the crankcase from...

Anyone ever see the cam sensor leak? That's the only other spot I can think of that could be leaking. Everything mentioned above is sealed well.

If anyone one has any insight into what else might allow air into the crankcase I'd appreciate it. Both vc, pcv and dipstick are all plugged.

You will need a double sided seal on the rear main and the balancer seal. Like the ones used between transfer cases and transmissions. The stock seals will allow air to pass right through from the outside-in with a lot of crankcase vacuum.

hm, i figured they would allow a little air in, but not as much as im seeing. i guess i cant be sure since ive never done this before. :) any idea where to order something like that and the sizes?