electric fan question....again

wyk3d

Car wiring sucks!
Ok so another few sets of wire were smoked away. Halfway into the main loom both wires are dust. Good times. Can i just wire up my low speed relay to the fan bypassing the resistor on the fan so that it runs on high always and leave the high speed relay out of the loop? Prior to this i had both relays wired together and then going to the fan. Perhaps one relay is backfeeding the other?? At least ill only smoke 1 wire instead of two.

Dan

ah......rereading my post i dont think i quite asked the right question. My setup is ALREADY bypassing the resistor on the fan. The wires are tied together into 1 wire bypassing the resistor. What i wanted to ask was can i leave the high speed relay out of the connection all together. Thus only having the low speed relay (1 wire) going to the post on the fan. This would still allow the fan to come on when the lowspeed relay says it should but it would be running at highspeed for the fan. Or am i totally wrong here??

Dan

Anyone have an idea?? This is the only thing keeping my freshly painted gn from seeing daylight.

Dan

Probably. I think that some do bypass the resistor so that it runs high speed whenever it runs. I would assume that the relay would handle the same load as the high speed relay since they both get power thru the same fusable link.

But if you are burning up wires then there is something else amiss. Just moving the low speed wire to the other side of the resistor, or even tying the two relays together (which is the same thing) should not cause a problem. No "back feeding" as you put it. Just two switches in parallel so that either one can trigger the fan.

The way to tie the relays together (same as bypassing the resistor) is to connect the lowspeed red/blk wire to the high speed (and delay) pink/blk wire.

Again, you must have had something else going on and you probably should not be modifying the wiring if you do not understand what you are doing (no offense meant, just a generic comment).

There are nice diagrams in the service manual and on gnttype.org if you do understand the basics of electrical wiring, relays and the like.

Tom

perhaps im not communicating what is already currently done to my car. CURRENTLY....i have the the high speed and low speed relays HOOKED TOGETHER.....like it says on gnttype.org and this board......black+pink from high speed and black n red from low speed. These are connected together and the resistor on the fan is bypassed so that it runs highspeed at all times. That is my CURRENT SETUP. Hopefully that is clearer. Now....for whatever reason........it smoked both of those wires....dust. The connections from the relays to about half the loom are perfect. No heated wire, no melting, no anything. There is a 30amp fuse between the relays and the fan. This setup worked for a year. Then suddenly is turned my wires to dust. What can i check?

Dan

If the fuse isn't blowing and the wires are a glowing (or too hot to handle) then you need bigger wire or a smaller fuse. Fix that first.

Beyond that, look for a short and check out the fan motor. Not much else to go wrong if the wiring is correct.

With power off and fan unplugged there should be infinite resistance between the relay (red/blk or pink/blk) and ground. With the fan plugged in it will probably approach zero, but should be measurable. You'll have to compare to someone else's fan or maybe someone knows. It could still be a bad fan even if it ohms out OK.

I am assuming that the fried wires are between the fuse and the fan and the relays are on the other side of the fuse. You also need to use wire that can handle the engine compartment heat plus moisture. And make sure they are not getting burned up from being too close to the turbo or other hot spots.

Tom