electric fan troubles....

wyk3d

Car wiring sucks!
Ok so last year i had some serious problems with my electric fan. It smoked the wiring harness into dust. We changed the relays and disconnected the delay relay. Problem solved.....or was it. Took it out for a spin today and all the sudden POP........we placed a fuse in between the fan and the harness so i dont lose another wiring harness and i have the high/low wired together so that it always runs high speed. Well the fuse blew. I am running a 30amp fuse right now. Does anyone know how many amps a fan is supposed to pull?? It has been working fine all last year and then a week this year. Is my fan faulty?

Dan

The biggest problem (that I found out recently) is aging connectors!!!!!!! :eek:

The connections become old and corroded, and the connections aren't as good as they should be. This causes "hot spots" as in any electrical system with bad connections.
On mine the ground wire inside the conncector melted its self and the connector.
The cure????

New connector.

No more hot wires, or melting connector, even though I'm running more fans and drawing more juice.

Replace any questionable connectors, and wires, and relays.

Also check the fusible link were the circuit picks up its power down on the starter. Asumming you hotwired it from this circuit. Eric Fisher

I guess I was lucky. My fan just plain quit without blowing anything up. I ended up replacing it with the dual fans from Ramchargers $79 - the original fan motor only from Buick was $379. The Ramcharger fans keep the TR about 10 - 15 degrees cooler in traffic.