Eliminating Cat

t3intercooled

I have an 87 GN and I want to eliminate my cat. Now on the stock cat. it has a regular exhaust clamp on the front of it however on the rear it has a plate which bolts to another plate welded to the y-pipe. I don't want to have to change my stock y-pipe, does anyone know how I can eliminate my cat, but keep the stock y-pipe on. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon:confused:

Cheapest way is to gut the cat. Just take the stock cat off and clean out the insides. You will feel and hear the difference.

Be sure to ware gloves, glasses or goggles, and a dust mask.

Place a plastic bag inside a cardboard box and use your tire iron or similar tools and a hammer or small sledge hammer and pound away.

When done, there should not be anything inside the cat.

HTH

Remove the cat. and put a straight pipe. It makes a difference!
Keep the cat. because you will need it for emissions. I am selling a straight pipe that would work for you, just bolt on, $20 plus shipping.

The "plate" you refer to is more properly called a 4 bolt flange.

You can purchase a dump pipe or off road pipe or test pipe that includes a 4 bolt flange, and is a direct replacement for the cat.

A dump pipe includes an extra set of flanges on the side that would allow you to open the exhaust for racing. A test pipe would not.

Any of several TR vendors sell various kinds, but you might try ATR first. Their exhaust systems are, IMO, the very best.

http://www.atrperformance.com/

Leave your stock cat alone. You may want/need it some day.

Good luck!

:D

If your going the "gut the cat"way, Id leave it on the car make a rectangle but only cut 3 sides of it. You can then pull the flap down and take a srewdriver and/or hammer and chisel and go to towns. this cleans it out thouroghly and all you have to do is weld it back together. Us a 4 inch grinder to cut the flap. Id did this to my 88 Bronco II. It works well and if you live in lower Michigan like me, or somewhere else where emissions doesnt matter, then you dont have to worry about emissions trouble. But if thats the case maybe a straight pipe is the ticket. Oh well. Good luck.