Emissions in IL

Twil

Welcome to the DarkSide
Can I pass the IL emission test without a PCV?

How about with the EGR valve vac signal unplugged?

Is it better to add Heet or Denatured Alky to the gas tank?

I believe IL doesn't check for NOx.

I'm shooting for a good tune and I have no cat. Can I pass?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm desperate!

Thanks,
Brandon

better make sure you have something under there that resembles a cat for the visual inspection!

I'll find out monday or tuesday exactly what they are going to check for. I am supposed to have it tested by may 1st. When I got the original notice I just sent it in and said the car wasn't running, and they extended it like sixth months. It was an easy way to get more time. I thought about trying without the cat on, but I think i'm going to throw it on this weekend. I also have an emissions chip from Turbotweak. I'll let you know what happens. It's going to be tested in Crystal Lake about fifty miles west of downtown.

Twil said:
Can I pass the IL emission test without a PCV?

How about with the EGR valve vac signal unplugged?

Is it better to add Heet or Denatured Alky to the gas tank?

I believe IL doesn't check for NOx.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm desperate!

Thanks,
Brandon

There is no visual test of the cat. I was there in Feb.and passed no problem.
Now if you don't pass they may look. I would put one on to test and get a emission chip then go for it. Thats what I did. Do you have a cat and e-chip?
As long as blm's are good with a e-chip you should pass.
Rick

I have a cat in the garage to put on if needed. I would rather just try with my cut out pipe if I could possibly pass. I am using a 93 octane for 50# inj chip (not sure who made this chip - got it and a race chip with the injectors used on this site). So no e-chip.

My BLMs are 150 at idle (800rpm) and drop to 136-140 at about 1700rpm in park.

This is a new motor with about 200 mile on it. Runs very good but started to smoke at idle yesterday after i drove it under boost. Let it sit for several minutes and it runs clean. Is this the PCV valve sucking oil or are the rings not sealing yet?

Is it too soon for an emission test?

Brandon

Twil said:

No way! If you get caught and they ask questions, play dumb and tell them you will talk to your mechanic. It happened to me and thats what I did.

I wouldn't try the test without a cat. I just got back from there and I failed hydrocarbons were more than three times over the limit. I tried to put my cat on but I have to weld different flanges on it.

Twil said:
I have a cat in the garage to put on if needed. I would rather just try with my cut out pipe if I could possibly pass. I am using a 93 octane for 50# inj chip (not sure who made this chip - got it and a race chip with the injectors used on this site). So no e-chip.

My BLMs are 150 at idle (800rpm) and drop to 136-140 at about 1700rpm in park.

This is a new motor with about 200 mile on it. Runs very good but started to smoke at idle yesterday after i drove it under boost. Let it sit for several minutes and it runs clean. Is this the PCV valve sucking oil or are the rings not sealing yet?

Is it too soon for an emission test?

Brandon

Your blm's are way to high to start with. Should always be 128 +/- 5. You got some tunung to do. I can barrow you my e-chip and help with tuning if you like. Get that cat on.

I used to live in central IL until 3 years ago. we had on inspetions there most of my cars had no cats on them. when did they start inspections or do you live near chicago.

I've thought about trying it without a cat... but it would be really tight even with a fresh O2.
I was in a tight spot last fall and had get it in before old man winter showed up. I had to bolt up the cat with a 1/2 tank of 110 and 1/2 tank 93. The O2 was getting lazy from the lead and she just barely made it through the IM240 fast pass.

The retards in crystal lake would likely never notice a missing cat. Dem guys are stoooopid!

Anybody know the maximun levels for passing?

It would be nice to have it checked before u try to pass.

They walked around with a mirror, but didn't say anything. I tried to get them to test it before they actually did the test but they wouldn't. The kid told me oh i'm sure you'll pass. whatever hopefully i'll have mine taken care of by next week. I also had 110 leaded mixed with some 100 unleaded. I probably should have prepared a little bit better

dvernst said:
I tried to get them to test it before they actually did the test but they wouldn't.
You CAN have it "un-officially" tested, but it cost $20.

Yeah... typically without a cat you'll see about 1-2% CO (carbon monoxide) and around 200-300 HC (hydrocarbons). NOx will be in the 300-500 range on a loaded mode test (with a dyno). The IM240 is in Grams per mile and not in percentages of PPM (lbs per million). Plus the IM240 is a volumetric test and not a sample test.

I doubt if you'll be able to get the thing to go through without a cat on. My suggestion is to install the largest (crossectional area) catalyst you can find. Usually it'll be squeeky clean then.

Like Rick 87 Gn said, your block learn numbers are way too high. Its adding fuel either because of a slow responding O2, a vacuum leak, or some other lean running condition. Maybe your tune is off for idle mixture.

Do they dyno test cars from 1987 or is that designed for late model cars? They don't put my 1993 van on the dyno, they probe the exhaust.

Yes

mikec1969 said:
Do they dyno test cars from 1987 or is that designed for late model cars? They don't put my 1993 van on the dyno, they probe the exhaust.

I was ther in Feb. they did dyno.