Emissions in IL

They insert the "probe" into the tailpipe while the car is on the dyno. IM240 has hoses the slip over the whole tailpipe, hence "volumetric", whereas and ASM test (which also includes using a dyno) just has a probe that inserts in the tailpipe to take a "sample" of the emissions. ASM uses a math logic to come up with the PPM (lbs per millions) while IM240 uses the grams per mile factoring which is more accurate. It measures everything coming out of the car.

I put the CAT back on and went back to the Crystal Lake test station and they use the dyno. The young tech saw something that my car was marginal. The young tech went over and had the old timer test the car and he got it to pass just barely. I was a very happy camper. I decided to leave the CAT on. Brad

Dyno idea

Maybe I can come up with some sort of throttle stop to prevent one of those kids from accidentally wackin the throttle wide open on the dyno. Too much cash in the motor to see it get hurt by Sparky Leadfoot.

If you want to spend the money Caspers sells an ultra chip with a valet setting. This limits rpm to 3600. Brad

Brer Rabbit said:
Maybe I can come up with some sort of throttle stop to prevent one of those kids from accidentally wackin the throttle wide open on the dyno. Too much cash in the motor to see it get hurt by Sparky Leadfoot.
I went to Markum test facility and was worried about the same thing. To my surprise I was only on the dyno for not even a minuite. Got the car up to 40-45 mph and shut it down. Did not get anywhere near boost. Pass.
If you pass low end test they will not need to push it any further.
Also something alot of people don't know is you can sit in the passenger seat during the test.

Failed My Test on Saturday !

I went to the IL test station this Sat. I still had BLM reading about 145-150 before and during the test.

I fail the test on the first try, but the computer let the guy re-run the test!?!? He told me that it was close to passing that why it gave him a retry (I was in the passenger seat).

Here are the results:

HC (Hydrocarbons) std=2.00 readings=3.30 FAILED

CO (Carbon Monoxide) std=30.0 read=13.5 PASSED

CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) std=N/A readings=445.2 N/A

NOx (Oxides/Nitrogen) std=N/A readings=4.00 N/A

This was without a CAT converter. I will try it on Wedn. with the converter installed.

Questions:

Would a bad EGR cause the failure or does that only effect NOx readings?

I believe the CAT should help with the unburnt fuel. What can I add to the fuel to help reduce the HC readings?

Almost forgot, I have a Translator Pro and an Externder Chip "New" in the box. Should I install these and drop the Fuel across the entire band just for the test?

Thanks,
Brandon

It should make it with the Cat installed. The cat will reduce the HC and CO greatly whereas (as long as it's a 3 way cat) will only reduce Nox marginally. The majority of Nox is reduced in the engine via EGR, Cam overlap, excess ignition timing, excess engine temp.

Why didn't they have any Co2 or NOx stats??

Why didn't they have any Co2 or NOx stats??

My state (IL) doesn't test for these. Atleast for my year of vehicle.

Later,
Brandon

Brer Rabbit said:

Hey Gary don't you know someone that lives on a Farm? I think you know him well.I understand that he has no emission test there yet. I believe there is about six Turbo Buicks registered at that address.Maybe you can register the car there for a while until they get emissions.

Prasad :D