enclosed trailer

tntdiablo

i just sold my diesel pickup and bought a silverado with a 5.3,i found a 16' enclosed trailer for a good price,will that be long enough for a gn and also is my truck capable of pulling it?my car is at a shop getting work done or i would measure it myself.thanks alot

I believe a GN is about 18 feet long. You should be looking for a 20 foot trailer minimum. 24 foot even better. A 5.3 Chev pickup should have no problem towing. 4x4 would be even better. IMO Dave

B.B.'s right. A 16' enclosed is no where near long enough. A 20' will do, but just. 24' is a more common size and is far more practical. Leaves a few feet in front of the car to carry "extra stuff" and there'll be a foot or so behind the car for safe clearance.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and spring for a 24'.

thanks alot for the info,i think i'm gonna just go with a aluminum open trailer since i sold the diesel

We tow w/ 2 1/2 ton Silvies.. An 03 and an 07.
The 03 has the 3.73 axle, and mine has the 3.23.
The open trailer is a 20' Texas Rollback w/ air dam.
A 4000# Chebby vert on it, the 03 pulling is OK.[12mpg on last 2000 mi trip.]
The same load w/ my 07 and the weak gear... NOT SO GOOD...
In either case, the rear suspension is a bit like my GF... A bit saggy!

Do yourself a favor and get a 24 if its in the budget its so much nicer to be able to tote your car to the track and have room for the golf cart and air tank and gas cans etc etc..that leaves your pickup bed available for all the wife and kids gear barbecue pit etc..And if it starts raining suddenly you can run inside without getting soaked!!!

We tow w/ 2 1/2 ton Silvies.. An 03 and an 07.
The 03 has the 3.73 axle, and mine has the 3.23.
The open trailer is a 20' Texas Rollback w/ air dam.
A 4000# Chebby vert on it, the 03 pulling is OK.[12mpg on last 2000 mi trip.]
The same load w/ my 07 and the weak gear... NOT SO GOOD...
In either case, the rear suspension is a bit like my GF... A bit saggy!

lol,i heard texas roll back went out of buisness,mine is a 04 with 373's

The guy that started T/R sold out, the next guy went tango uniform, and then ??
I called them some yrs ago for parts... The girl said they didn't have records/parts for the s/n I gave her.....Bought it new in 1994.

Although a 24' enclosed is minimum to tow a GN, I would get a 28'.

Although the 1/2 ton truck would pull the trailer, it's going to be abused. Another thing you have to be concerned is the braking. The 3/4-1 ton trucks have so much better braking for trailer towing.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

We use a 20ft enclosed. Fits fine, not much room left for other stuff, deffinately no room for a quad or golf cart. I used to pull a 28ft enclosed with a '00 Silverado ext. cab Z71 1500 with the 5.3, 3.73 gear. Pulled fine. Just like a 28ft trailer is better so is a heavier duty truck. Bigger usually is better, but a 20 ft trailer behind a 1500 Silverado will get the job done.