engine just quits

gndeligirl

Well its happening again the engine just starts popping and shuts down. This is the second time in a month that the enigine died on me going to work. I have changed the maf sensor with a spare seemed alright but did it again. Seems to be ignition related. My question is, does the coil pak tend to fail more often or the module.

Originally posted by gndeligirl
Well its happening again the engine just starts popping and shuts down. This is the second time in a month that the enigine died on me going to work. I have changed the maf sensor with a spare seemed alright but did it again. Seems to be ignition related. My question is, does the coil pak tend to fail more often or the module.

Possibley fuel related,

stock pump?
stock regulator?
plugs?
stock injectors?
fp/inj fuse? just replaced mine today. My car just died on me while driving to work without warning. Could be lean condition?
some of the other guys will get in on this to.

Not sure about the life on the pack/module but when i replaced mine i did both:eek: cost me between two and three yards:eek: but i would check the other things first. Are you getting enough fuel? do you have fuel gauge?

Check your positive battery cable going down to the starter. It may have succumbed to the heat of the downpipe and be shorting out occasionally. I had this problem a long time ago and it was a bear to find. You have to look real close at the whole wire to see if the insulation is burned through anywhere.

Ditto the last post. Mine did that. burned a hole in the cable and was grounding out on the header. car ran like a Mustang:D

My car sputtered at WOT, so I replaced the coil and it ran fine for 2 weeks. Then it wouldn't start one evening, so I replaced the ignition module and now all is well. I guess I should have replaced them together.

The car has a new fuel pump and filter. The car will resart after a minute or so.But will take longer as it seems to be a temp related problem with what ever is cuasing this. It seems like an ignition problem because of the popping and backfireing before it dies.

Originally posted by gndeligirl
The car has a new fuel pump and filter. The car will resart after a minute or so.But will take longer as it seems to be a temp related problem with what ever is cuasing this. It seems like an ignition problem because of the popping and backfireing before it dies.

I would check the plugs,gapping or throw a new set of plugs in there first, its cheap especially if you dont have those goody tools to check the Coil Pak-Module. Then the plug wires. Like i said before if you dont have a known good pak-module to swap to check, i would make that the last resort. Both are not cheap. The only reason i say this is because my car did the exact same thing as yours is doing. First thing i checked was the plugs, and sure enough that was the culprit, (This Time).

Does the tach move when trying to restart immediately after dying? If not, I would swap coil/modules with someone and see if the problem goes away. Sounds kinda like a module to me.