engine pops when meth system comes on

stevek

I have an smc progressive meth system hooked up to my car, the problem is that whenever the system comes on my engine pops a few times then seems to work fine, I see the air temp drop on the powerlogger and get no knock. Ive adjusted the min setting from 6lb to 18lb and the max setting from 12lb to 25lb in many different combos, still pops, i tried different gaps on plugs ac delco r42ts, now gap at .035 , fuel press 43lb, 60 turbo, boost set 25lb, rjc powerplate,powerlogger,hot wire,tt340 pump,scanmaster,aem air fuel ratio guage,40lb inj,David Huske tranny,now this happens from a dead stop when i powerbrake then full throttle and also when crusing at 65 mph then floor it. any ideas let me know thanks.

what kind of alky system? what size nozzle?

Bob

edit: oops, I see it in the original post.

first thing, set your boost down to 18, and get the system running there.

alky systems can interfere with other electrical signals on the car, and this will cause odd issues. post a powerlogger log.

Bob

first thing, set your boost down to 18, and get the system running there.

alky systems can interfere with other electrical signals on the car, and this will cause odd issues. post a powerlogger log.

Bob
will try ,still pops with r44ts plugs

If you set it to like 10 PSI and squeeze into the throttle where it hits 10 PSI.. does it stutter at 10 PSI? Kinda like compressor surging?

If you set it to like 10 PSI and squeeze into the throttle where it hits 10 PSI.. does it stutter at 10 PSI? Kinda like compressor surging?
yes it does, sometimes it only does it for a second or two or till i lift out,i just ran with meth off with 25-26lb boost,had 2-3 knocks in 3rd gear only,in first gear afr 9 , o2 was at .780 then stopped reading in 2nd and 3rd, 2nd and 3rd afr was 14 to 15, also my maf readings only go to 248 they use to go to 450 on powerlogger any ideas

yes it does, sometimes it only does it for a second or two or till i lift out,i just ran with meth off with 25-26lb boost,had 2-3 knocks in 3rd gear only,in first gear afr 9 , o2 was at .780 then stopped reading in 2nd and 3rd, 2nd and 3rd afr was 14 to 15, also my maf readings only go to 248 they use to go to 450 on powerlogger any ideas
You put race gas in it?
Your chip an extender?

You need to work on one issue at a time. You went from meth kit issue to MAF and weird readings issue.

Turn the boost way down and get the car sorted or you'll pop the motor. Don't believe me... Stay the course.

You put race gas in it?
Your chip an extender?

You need to work on one issue at a time. You went from meth kit issue to MAF and weird readings issue.

Turn the boost way down and get the car sorted or you'll pop the motor. Don't believe me... Stay the course.
your right thanks for the advise ill turn down the boost and get better reading on powerlogger, Ill post tomarrow after work , thanks again ,no race gas just 93 and extender chip came with the Maf Translator 23/19 deg

your right thanks for the advise ill turn down the boost and get better reading on powerlogger, Ill post tomarrow after work , thanks again ,no race gas just 93 and extender chip came with the Maf Translator 23/19 deg
Surprised you didnt pop the motor running 93 with that timing and boost. Max boost on pump gas with that timing should be like 14-15 PSI.

Surprised you didnt pop the motor running 93 with that timing and boost. Max boost on pump gas with that timing should be like 14-15 PSI.
I think what save the motor was that i was running two fuel pumps from kenne bell, one intank 340m and one inline from them also, my afr were usually 9-10, figured they were getting old and replaced with a tt340.

I think what save the motor was that i was running two fuel pumps from kenne bell, one intank 340m and one inline from them also, my afr were usually 9-10, figured they were getting old and replaced with a tt340.
No amount of fuel saves an engine when run at a higher boost that the octane afforded can handle. You can put 10 Weldon pro mod pumps and die a horrible death at 25 PSI boost on plain 93. And it doesnt matter what the afr is either. Just be happy its still in one piece, altho more than likely hurt. If you pop a headgasket in the next few months you'll know where it started.

I know guys that did this because they were pissed the car wasn't running right.. Went out on the highway an held it down to the floor !! BUT on the bright side it gave me another job :p
Gives a new meaning to the thread starters heading.. "Engine Pops" :D

Gives a new meaning to the thread starters heading.. "Engine Pops" :D
Hey i finally took car back out and turned boost down and meth off, I ran it a couple of times in each boost setting here are some powerlogger readings;

fuel press @ 43# for all
bst-16-17
a/f 1st gear-9 @15#
2nd-10.5-11.0 @ 17#
3rd-10.5-11.0 @ 17#
O2-.800-.760
inj-85%
maf-284
knock-o
-------------------
bst-17-18
a/f 1st gear -9 @ 15#
2nd-10.5-11.0 @ 18#
3rd-11.o-11.5 2 18#
O2-.740-.730
inj-85%
maf-284
knock-0
---------------------
bst-18-19
a/f 1st gear-9 @17#
2nd-10.5-11.0 @18#
3rd-11.o-11.5 @19#
O2-.740-.720
inj-85%
maf-284
knock-0
-----------------------
bst-20-21
a/f 1st gear-9 @17#
2nd-11.5-12.5 @20#
3rd-11.7-12.6 @ 21#
O2-.730-.670
inj-86%
maf-284
knock 3rd gear @20 # was 1.1
knock 3rd gear @ 21# was 1.9
let me know what u think and what would be next in improveing my performance and maybe getting meth system to work without breaking up thanks again

Your MAF doesnt go up yet the boost does. And your air fuel goes up(lean) as the boost goes up.

Maybe its a bad MAF or translator issue. I'm also kind of skeptical on the knock sensor on your motor and its readings. Typically with your timing and AFR it should be showing way more knock than it is. Typically...

I've seen translators mounted in the engine compartment get water into them. As I have seen MAF's go bad. Point is boost went up 5 psi and your MAF didnt.