Engine pull with Transmission

Mad_Trbo

I was on the GNTTYPE board and I see the procedures for pulling the motor without transmission. This was the method I used when I did the motor pull last, but I had a real time getting it back in and lined up with the transmission.

So I wondering how difficult is it to pull with a cherry picker with the transmission attached?

Mad_Trbo said:
......... This was the method I used when I did the motor pull last, but I had a real time getting it back in and lined up with the transmission. .................. So I wondering how difficult is it to pull with a cherry picker with the transmission attached?
Did it both ways. Motor and tranny "Hands down" in my book.
That is the way I will do it if I EVER have to do it again.

Jerryl said:
Did it both ways. Motor and tranny "Hands down" in my book.
That is the way I will do it if I EVER have to do it again.

So you pulled both pieces with the cherry picker. Did you do it from the side or front of the car? How far out was the picker extended, I think I want to try it with the transmission and did you use one of those angle tools?

I used the engine tilter and a hoist. I put the legs of the hoist out all the way. Make sure you grease the engine tilter good and it shouldn't be a problem.

i did mine with the trans connected as well i just used a chain and a bolt to adjust my tilt and pulled her from the front...wasnt to bad just took the intercooler and i believe maybe took the IC fan off as well, and i put my new engine and trans in as one unit as well..it was a little harder gettin it back in but id do it like that again if i had to.

Mad_Trbo said:
So you pulled both pieces with the cherry picker. Did you do it from the side or front of the car? How far out was the picker extended, I think I want to try it with the transmission and did you use one of those angle tools?
As stated by everyone else ...........
From the front, picker extended all the way, no angle tool :eek:
Taking it out is the easiest part.

Edit:
Be sure to drain the transmission and use an oil pan and keep the floor dry handy as the trans will leak a bit when tilted.

Engine Tilt on Cherry picker

Jerryl said:
As stated by everyone else ...........
From the front, picker extended all the way, no angle tool :eek:
Taking it out is the easiest part.

Edit:
Be sure to drain the transmission and use an oil pan and keep the floor dry handy as the trans will leak a bit when tilted.

When I say angle tool I mean the device you can use to tilt the motor while on the picker. Are you saying you didn't use one of these when you pulled yours.

I also have one of those plates that attaches to where the dog hose attaches and this was what I used before. I realize if I use this the tilt feature is virtually useless but at the same time I wonder if it can handle all the weight.

Isn't there something you can purchase to cap of the end of the transmission where the driveshaft went it to stop it from leaking?

Anybody know what this is called?

Mad_Trbo said:
When I say angle tool I mean the device you can use to tilt the motor while on the picker. Are you saying you didn't use one of these when you pulled yours.

I also have one of those plates that attaches to where the dog hose attaches and this was what I used before. I realize if I use this the tilt feature is virtually useless but at the same time I wonder if it can handle all the weight.

Isn't there something you can purchase to cap of the end of the transmission where the driveshaft went it to stop it from leaking?

Anybody know what this is called?

We are talking about the same thing - Angle tool.
I used a chain and a tie down strap from the hoist hook to the back of the motor so I could raise/lower the back end and get the angle perfect for removal.

I do not have a dog house. :cool:

I just removed/installed my engine without the tranny attached. I had a floor jack(with a 14X14X1 piece of oak to keep the pan from caving in) under the trans pan. No tilting or gyrations involved and everything lined right up on install. Sure: it's tougher getting the some of the bellhousing bolts in, BUT: there's a whole lot less work to do on the tranny linkage / cooling lines / crossmember / driveshaft / etc. OH: I had the hood off and used the hoist from the side.