Engine Run Stand

A load on the engine would be nice, but just having the ability to run the engine is invaluable!! Leaks? fix them before install, other problems? Fix them too.

I have lots of "extra" parts like intercoolers, brackets and turbos. Finding enough spares to assemble this rig wasn't a problem. We can now test an unknown turbo for seal problems (oil consumption) by running it on a known engine. Yes, we can't load it up and spin it hard, but that's not the point of this exercise.

The engine is mounted on a BOP stickshift bellhousing that bolts to the back of the stand. I don't have any other mounting points!!! Just the bellhouse! It works great and the engine doesn't bounce up and down like you would expect. In fact, the stand wants to move very slightly right to left when at a very slow idle. If you ever read the Buick Motorsports book on V6 balance you can see and feel the natural shake in the horizontal plane that the book describes.

The stand is also designed for other engines. The next on the stand is a 496 BBC that is just about done. After that is a 1968 Olds 400 for a 442 convertible. The BBC will need some support from the motor mount area as well as the bellhouse.....The engine is all cast iron and is HEAVY when compared to our little V6!!

Thanks Dave for the reply.
Prasad

A load on the engine would be nice, but just having the ability to run the engine is invaluable!! Leaks? fix them before install, other problems? Fix them too.

I have lots of "extra" parts like intercoolers, brackets and turbos. Finding enough spares to assemble this rig wasn't a problem. We can now test an unknown turbo for seal problems (oil consumption) by running it on a known engine. Yes, we can't load it up and spin it hard, but that's not the point of this exercise.

The engine is mounted on a BOP stickshift bellhousing that bolts to the back of the stand. I don't have any other mounting points!!! Just the bellhouse! It works great and the engine doesn't bounce up and down like you would expect. In fact, the stand wants to move very slightly right to left when at a very slow idle. If you ever read the Buick Motorsports book on V6 balance you can see and feel the natural shake in the horizontal plane that the book describes.

The stand is also designed for other engines. The next on the stand is a 496 BBC that is just about done. After that is a 1968 Olds 400 for a 442 convertible. The BBC will need some support from the motor mount area as well as the bellhouse.....The engine is all cast iron and is HEAVY when compared to our little V6!!

nice job---------i agree that a load is not so important just for initial breakin---------i created a similar but simpler run in stand over 10 years ago and have probably run over 150 engines on it for myself and others and i can truly say it has been a wonderful useful tool------i used a giant 6000 lb rated OTC engine stand that makes it easy to access any part of the engine for inspection even to the point of turning it upside down------it is pictured in the earlier post by NC Turbos --------he actually stopped by this weekend and used it on a new stroker that he had built for someone-------- when this was first built it was much more complicated--------i actually used a harness from a car but have since converted it to a special stripped down harness from Caspers that makes hookup a snap--------i also started with a radiator on a rolling cart but seldom use it and prefer a simple garden hose with a pressure regulator set at 15lbs--------makes it so much easier to know for sure that there are no air pockets at intital startup that create hot spots---------i also had a simple load made from a large DC motor that could be operated as a brake with a variable DC powersupply but found it to be more trouble than it was worth and havent used it in years--------most of the time i don't even have the turbo on the engine when i run it in and just place a tractor style exhaust stack on the turbo flange---------i monitor all the important data on a scan tool attached to the ALDL and also attach a pressure gauge to the turbo feed line and fuel rail---------wouldn't give it up for the world..................RC

Rich,

Thanks for the reply. To wire up this rig, We started with a hacked up stock wiring harness that I repaired. We bought it cheap at last years GS Nats. I de-wired all the un-needed circuits and kept only the circuits required to run the engine. For instance, I don't have a SES light and the cooling fans and fuel pump are run off relays/switches. The stand has a fully functional charging system!! I bet I have 40 hours on just doing the wiring. I did keep the ALDL circuit and I have a cigarette lighter socket on the dash just to run my Tech One.

The nice thing is that I can change engines very quickly. We had one engine running and switched over to another engine in about an hours time. This was a FUN project and is something I'll keep and use a long time

WOW.... I have an 'ol friend with the same name (Dale) and he use to make me some of the coolest stuff on the planet. Must be something in the name. Cool way to do you're job. Now.....stand back ten feet, snap a new pic, so we can really see the stand.;) I might have to make one myself.
what he said ^^^^^^^^^

I have used a similar style run in machine, We had one that pressurized the oil and no water was used. We ran engines for about 20 min and it saved our butts on the quality end of things. That is a great build and will be a great asset to have!

Ok, I got the message, you wanted some better pictures.....so here they are:

Attachments

• Run Stand 001.jpg
    Run Stand 001.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Run Stand 002.jpg
    Run Stand 002.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Run Stand 003.jpg
    Run Stand 003.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Run Stand 004.jpg