Engine runs for few seconds and dies

Black Six

Coming off a fresh top end build (Cam and lifters wiped). Starts and runs for a few seconds and dies. Any suggestions?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Reset procedures are never posted online. Do you know if you have a chip that has anti-theft?

Pop the chip out and look for writing on it. (or a smiley face sticker)

If you have no idea, odds are you don't have an anti theft chip or you would have run into this problem before now.

Might be time to start going over every plug and connection under the hood and do basic troubleshooting.

do you have a scanmaster/powerlogger/any other type of scan tool?

check the oil pressure switch connection on the passenger side under the turbo?

Never had issues with this before, so doubt its a anti-theft chip.

No scan tool, tired of putting time and money into this one.

I will check the connections again.

Could the fuel rail be full of air? I know the pressure valve takes care of that....

Never had issues with this before, so doubt its a anti-theft chip.

I will check the connections again.

Could the fuel rail be full of air? I know the pressure valve takes care of that....

Flying blind without some kind of scantool. If I had to guess I would say no or low maf signal.

Off the top of my head, check the maf plug. Check the maf pipe. Check the cooler couplings. Check for a massive vacuum leak. Like open pcv line.

Good luck and get yourself a scanmaster. ;)

You might want to sell it while it's still in one piece then. The next issue you have is going to be a blown engine. I'm not kidding. These cars run on electricty AND they are over 1/4 century old. If you don't have a way to speak electrons, then you have no idea when the car is going to warn you it's about to puke it's guts out the side of the block.

Not unless you're out of gas. The pump runs wide open at all times and dumps back to the tank. It self burps.

Checked all the connections and sensors. Still will just run for a few seconds.

If the cam position sensor wasnt set right, it wouldnt start correct?

I triple checked the timing marks before assembling the top end.

Define 'a few seconds'... is it like two or three, or is it like 10 or 12? Also is it the exact amount every time?

You mention you did the top end ...I would check the TPS and make sure it is adjusted correctly....

Check all fuses in the fuse box, also check the coil pack connection. All grounds on the rear of the intake aswell as the rear of the head.:cool:

Look inside the cam sensor cap and see if the tab is still in tack with the steel ring, and the ring is still screw tight.