engine ticking?lifters, valve train, TC?

wamatam

boost junky
well i was in my cousins turbo regal today stock engine 75k miles and i noticed something the car has always done but wanted to see what you guys had to say about it, when your driving the car from the driver side with the windows down it sounds as if the lifters are making noise not loud but just apparent enough to be heard, now his car has about a 1" or less crack in the driver side manifold but it def doesnt sound like the exhaust ive heard exh leaks and this doesnt sound like it more like valvetrain tick are these buick engines known for this we just changed the oil 10w40 anyone know where to start.

i was thinking bout tearing down his top end and refreshing it with new lifters and gaskets, not pull the heads tho just timing chain,lifters maybe valve springs. am i going in the right direction or are they just known for making ticking noises sometimes it sounds like the convertor cause when you put in park and get off you here it idle a bit to.

if you think its the converter just pull the cover off and have some one turn the crankcase and retorque bolt by bolt! its a possibility one of the bolts came loose and rubbing while turning very common on any car!

tick

I would fix the exhaust leak first before i tore down anything.what type of oil? correct level of zinc and other additives? what type of oil pressure at idle and cruising? exhaust= tick.