Erratic idle

Jim Blackwood

The engine is an '82 Regal 3.8L V6 with the 2bbl carb and bone stock as far as I can tell. Does have the big HEI distributor. At idle it fires very erratically, misfiring in an irregular but steady pattern. No specific cylinder or cylinders can be identified as misfiring, and under throttle it seems to run smoothly as could be expected. Adjustment of the choke and idle mixture is not helpful, PCV valve has been replaced, closer plug gaps have been tried with no benefit (went from .055 to .030) in fact the symptoms got worse. Plugs look normal. The distributor shaft does not seem to have any obvious side play.

Is there any known cause for an erratic idle in these engines that I should be looking for? Thanks,

JB

The engine is an '82 Regal 3.8L V6 with the 2bbl carb and bone stock as far as I can tell. Does have the big HEI distributor. At idle it fires very erratically, misfiring in an irregular but steady pattern. No specific cylinder or cylinders can be identified as misfiring, and under throttle it seems to run smoothly as could be expected. Adjustment of the choke and idle mixture is not helpful, PCV valve has been replaced, closer plug gaps have been tried with no benefit (went from .055 to .030) in fact the symptoms got worse. Plugs look normal. The distributor shaft does not seem to have any obvious side play.

Is there any known cause for an erratic idle in these engines that I should be looking for? Thanks,

JB

Stuck choke maybe.

Something wrong in the idle circuit of the carb or you have a vacuum leak somewhere? Could also be bad valves. Put a vacuum gauge on it and see what it reads.