Estimated HP and 1/4 mile times

Gr82baGN

BAM
Hi Guys, this is my first post sorry its a long one. I just recently had my engine rebuilt by Jack Merkel in Kennilworth NJ. He did a great job. I put 6000 miles on it and so far and not a single problem. This car is a daily driver in mint condition. I'm really excited about bringing it to the track this summer and I'm hoping to get a little input based on the current combo, est HP and 1/4 mile et's things like that. The rebuild included: Block bored on precision stand & 2 step torque plate honed. Speed Pro "plasma" piston rings. TRW forged pistons. Federal Mogul "Super Duty" alloy main and rod bearings.
Federal Mogul cam bearings. Speed Pro double roller timing set.
Comp Cams 206 206 and GM lifters. ARP connecting rod bolts, main studs. Balanced rotating assembly. Timing cover rebuilt with Speed Pro hi volume oil pump w/HD shaft Fully port cylinder heads. Machined w/3 angle seats, radius top cuts, machine valve guides for seals. Assembled with 1.77"/1.5" stainless steel Manley valves, hardened keepers, chromoly retainers, HD springs. Billet main caps on number 2 & 3 main journals. Bolt ons as follows: TA49, 55lb inj and XP double pump in tank, 65mmTB, CASv4, 3THDP, 2.5 ss exhaust, 9 Vigalante TC, trans rebuilt with all the good stuff, Eaton posi, all braces and busings as well as bilsteins on all 4. Nittos in the rear. Stock rims. All other work done by Rons Custom Autos, can't say enough about them. All input is appreciated ahead of time.
:)

I would have to say that you have a hihg-mid 11 combo easy (on the Nitto drag radials getting a 1.7 60'). The TA49 is going to hold you back a little. Go bigger with the turbo as a next mod. What kind of engine management do you use? (chip, extender, DFI, Max Effort, etc.) With slicks and a 1.5 60' you will be mid-low 11. Good luck, let us know what it runs when you get it to the track.

Hi AintGoinSlo,

Thanks for such a quick response. As far as engine managment goes I use Direct Scan, I have an RA chip talyored to my combo, designed for 100 octane. I also have a knock and boost gauge to make sure I don't blow things up. I'm still a rookie when it comes to launching at the track, live and learn. Can you recommend a turbo for a daily driver (every day, rain or snow, back and forth to work we go) thats going to give me max performance gain over the ta49 and still not require me to go beyond a 3000 stall tc.

Yes, you have an easy 11's combo. :) Just put some good sticky tires and good gas, crank up the boost a little ;) and you should see mid 11 thats for sure. Running those times you should make around 500hp at the front and a good amount of torque :p

Well for a daily driver, a TA49 is just about the best you can have (I've had it, and thats how I feel). I drive my car quite a bit, have a Vigilante l/u convertor, and use a TA63 big shaft turbo with a .63 housing. Its not too bad, but there is noticeable lag. Word has it that PTE has some killer new designs for the smaller turbos that will out-perform the larger ones (there was a technical session there about a week ago), so maybe they will have the ultimate street/strip turbo or something soon.

Mid to high 11s as everybody else says with a good tune on the car. Don't get too greedy and run a ton of boost on your first run. You have to creep up on a good tune. When you have it running the way you want then you can put more mods on and make it go faster :D

If you want to go to a bigger turbo, GO BALL BEARING!!!!! I love mine. It is VERY streetable. You just get everything with a BB turbo, with the big front mount intercooler that I have........NO LAG at all like a small turbo(car gets anger in 2nd gear) and the top end like a big turbo. The only down side is the $.....................but what the hell, you have come this far doing such a nice rebuild.

Jason

Hi Guys,

I'm taking in this great information, thanks alot, I like what I hear about the ball bearing turbos, just might be my next mod before the strip. One last thing, any experience with this electric cutout exhaust I saw on the Turbo Regal Custom Parts web site. I'm finishing PayPal account and will be ordering today.

Again Thanks
Michael

Hey Michael,
Just to drop a name if you do go for the BB turbo, talk to Jack Cotton, have not met a nicer guy putting together my GN!!!! He will give you as much time as you need about anything to do with TRs.

www.cottonsperformance.com

Jason

Hey whats up GR82baGN nice rebuild planning to do mines pretty soon as well how much should i will be expecting to spend on a build like your's and how low of an et. did mr. Merkel tell your car can go thanx.:)

Hey Guys,

Looks like I'll be giving Jack Cotton a call. Hey WickedGn go to this web site for pricing on Jacks engine rebuilds, as you will notice mine is a combination of option packages that Jack offers, so you can put together different packages at different price ranges, http://www.merkelengines.com/ I also believe Jack Merkel has crated engines ready to ship just give him a call. Please keep in mind I had some other work done to the car while the engine was out. Jack shares shop space with Ron and Paul from Rons Custom Autos. Paul took care of everything for me, from taking the engine out (all dirty and beat up) to putting it back in all nice and shiny and repaint. When I planned the rebuild with Jack reliablilty was the KEY issue. No car, no get to work. What Jack indicated in terms of potential ET's was pretty much what all you guys have said, with proper tuning I'm looking at High to Mid 11's. Maybe I can push that with a BB turbo.

Mike