Excessive front end play.

77 cruiser

Like .060 or so with the thickest washer I have for the output.
I machined the rear internal gear for a bearing & did the low support.
Rear end play is .003 with the yellow selective.
Must have missed something.

Maybe should have said forward end play.
Would it be acceptable to put a flat washer behind the selective on the output, I'm sure it's been done before?

It sounds like you are talking about rear end play. the metal selective under/behind the snap ring in the output shaft is rear end play. Assuming you installed all parts, how much did you cut from the housings and what roller bearings did you use?

I have been told you can use rear end shims there in the rear to take up play.

It sounds like you are talking about rear end play. the metal selective under/behind the snap ring in the output shaft is rear end play. Assuming you installed all parts, how much did you cut from the housings and what roller bearings did you use?
The rear play is fine I have that at .005.
I rechecked the rear gear & I took .078 from that the bearing is .140 thick same on the clutch housing.
Too much clearance when I install the forward & direct assembly.
The thickest sel. I have for that is #11 .121 I think.

You're talking about center section end play. Double check that the thin plastic washer is installed on the forward drum (which the direct rides against) and the plastic washer is installed on the center support

If that's in check I do believe there's a thicker washer for between the direct and forward drums. Rear end shims are usable in the rear section I believe but never heard of any reason to do anything special in center section.

Took it apart & it appears all the washers are there. Tried the old forward drum/shaft, about the same. It seems as the output isn't far enough to the front. I didn't check the end play when I tore it down.

Ended up with this. End play is .012. a little loose by Chris's book, by about .004. What do ya think?

Attachments

• 100_4016.JPG
    100_4016.JPG
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_4017.JPG
    100_4017.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
I was looking at this today and the direct drum to center support plastic washer measures .060 are you sure that ones in there? Somethings gotta be off for it to have that much play

Everything appears to be in place. I know I gain some with the rear bearing it needed about .010 less sel. washer on the output.
It seems that when I put in the original center support & forward drum it tightened up some, I now I'm thinking tolerance stack up.
It would be in specs by the ASTG manual withe thickest selective on the output, but not in by CK's manual which is .008-.009 I think I'm roughly at .012.

It'll run just fine at .012. Can't comment on the shim method you used, may work fine. Is that a hardened washer?

I read thru this thread and it is a little unclear. Set the rear selective to .010"-.015" . Under .009" is too tight. Factory is much looser. Use a #15 TAB washer on output shaft and you will be good. Any questions give me a call.

I read thru this thread and it is a little unclear. Set the rear selective to .010"-.015" . Under .009" is too tight. Factory is much looser. Use a #15 TAB washer on output shaft and you will be good. Any questions give me a call.
I can loosen the rear a bit. I don't have a #15 tab washer that's why it ended up that way. If I used the #15 I'd end up a bit over .020 I think. #15 is .140 right?
BTW how much for the bushings?

Last edited: