Exhaust for a street stage motor

TurboTwisterToo

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section. I have a 016 stage 1 I'm building. I don't think I need the bottom end of a stage two but I am sick of blowing head gaskets. The engine is going to be run slightly conservative but I would like to have the availability to turn up the boost down the road.

I am trying to build the motor for street use and want something that is going to be on the quieter side. I currently have a rusted out 2.5 dual hooker. I want something stainless and dual tips.

I am currently looking at RJCs 3" single muffler with dual out, as they claim to have no drone with a 3" pipe.

Any experience or suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance.

RJC will work well, but I like the fit and finish of Mark's 3" exhaust STAINLESS CATBACK EXHAUST
But what you need more then a exhaust is some good tunning. If your blowing head gaskets your tune is obviously off. Spend the money on a decent tune first by a good tuner and stop the bleeding. Sounds like your continuously stepping on your own feet. Get help and enjoy your car.

This is very interesting!

If you want quiet, build a "3 muffler system" That is the ONLY way to completely eliminate drone. PERIOD. Alot of work to make, but you'll LOVE it. In 2.5" it'll run well into the 9's. Dennis has run 10.12 @136 in 2.5" and it is no where near the restriction in the sytem. (the turbo is and maybe the 3" down pipe) TurboBob also uses this sytem.

Here's pics: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/167389-3-mufflers-quiet-system.html

I like the idea of a 3 muffler system. I plan to keep the car running mid to low tens and I hear dual 2.5 really isn't a restriction. I did not see any pictures on that post but I assume one muffler would go where the test pipe is? I also saw some dual in dual out mufflers to get it farther away from the down pipe.

Has anyone used the Pypes system on summit? How does it sound with the mufflers it comes with?

NO, the third muffler is a cross flow Ultra-Flow in the stock location. (behind the rear end) It's the cross flow muffler that kills the drone. An additional muffler where the cat is does NOTHING. Yes, I have tried doing that. I have tried darn near EVERYTHING to kill drone. (wrapping the ENTIRE exhaust system, 3" muffler in stock cat location, BIG Riveria mufflers, turbo mufflers, Hooker mufflers, Pit Bull mufflers, ect. ect.) Dennis Hogan came up with the concept of the cross flow muffler to kill drone. (after all there are TOO many drones in the world, so we gotta kill 'em;)) I'll be posting pics of his new chassis with the three muffler system. It'll help folks see how it's done, as there is no body on the chassis and it's real easy to see.

NO, the third muffler is a cross flow Ultra-Flow in the stock location. (behind the rear end) It's the cross flow muffler that kills the drone. An additional muffler where the cat is does NOTHING. Yes, I have tried doing that. I have tried darn near EVERYTHING to kill drone. (wrapping the ENTIRE exhaust system, 3" muffler in stock cat location, BIG Riveria mufflers, turbo mufflers, Hooker mufflers, Pit Bull mufflers, ect. ect.) Dennis Hogan came up with the concept of the cross flow muffler to kill drone. (after all there are TOO many drones in the world, so we gotta kill 'em;)) I'll be posting pics of his new chassis with the three muffler system. It'll help folks see how it's done, as there is no body on the chassis and it's real easy to see.

Do you have that picture yet? Although the 3 inch system from from TR custom is awesome, I love it, however I'd like to try and add the 3rd muffler. I'd like the car to be as quiet as possible.

I use the Hooker 2 1/2 cat back with the Hooker aerochamber mufflers.I got the system from SE Turbo about 4 years ago it came with aluma coated pipes and the aerochambers there is no drone at all at any RPM and quiet untill WOT.Just works on my setup which is similarly to what you are building.Good luck on your build,AL.

Im about to address exhaust as well. I am wanting to do a single 3.5" system to at least behind the tire. I am going to catch all kinds of hell, for I have a weld in roll bar right above the axle.

I am guessing I am going to try and build a piece-mill stainless system, however, no one has stainless welder/wire. Is there a problem with just using standard steel welds on stainless? Or should I just go standard steel the whole way?