Exhaust Manifold to Alum Heads

Jims project

Jims project
Tried a search but no help.. What is the Torque Specs. on Stock Exhaust Manifolds to Champion Alum. Heads with Copper Gaskets? I'm assuming it's different than with Steel Heads. thanks

I do not use exhaust bolts on alum heads as they are likely to pull out the threads.

Go the the hardware store and pick up 3/8" set screws of the appropriate length and flared nuts to match.

After a heat cycle or 2, re-torque the nuts and all should be good.

I have re-used my copper exhaust gaskets half a dozen times, and they are still good!

Tried a search but no help.. What is the Torque Specs. on Stock Exhaust Manifolds to Champion Alum. Heads with Copper Gaskets? I'm assuming it's different than with Steel Heads. thanks
Jim, are you actually going to get the ol girl running..? Congrats.

Jim, are you actually going to get the ol girl running..? Congrats.
Well it's like this, Ron I'm hoping by the end of June (not for street machines tho) . I will probably need your's and Tim's (if you would introduce me to him) help on first time start up?

I'm sure we could get ya goin. What all you lacking.? And is that the same motor you bought a few yrs. ago?

I've had good results using anti-seize and 25 ft*lb. Re-torqueing after the first drive.

Use studs like Nick said. I used stainless studs with anti-seize and hex-nuts with split lock washers. I use studs on just about anything that goes into aluminum whenever possible.

I'm sure we could get ya goin. What all you lacking.? And is that the same motor you bought a few yrs. ago?
have a rolling chassis now, so getting ready to slide it under the tub . yes it is the same motor. I'll keep you posted

Use studs like Nick said. I used stainless studs with anti-seize and hex-nuts with split lock washers. I use studs on just about anything that goes into aluminum whenever possible.
thanks I have those too (studs) with flange nuts. good advice will use studs whenever possible

On my cars I thread inserted all the threads for the manifolds. Not a tough job if you have access to a Bridgeport. I've found that studs couldn't be used in all location and that 3/8 hex head header bolts worked better in most spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my cars I thread inserted all the threads for the manifolds. Not a tough job if you have access to a Bridgeport. I've found that studs couldn't be used in all location and that 3/8 hex head header bolts worked better in most spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep forgetting I have no AC and heater box. Also, I made my headers. This made it a lot easier for me to use studs with hex-nuts at all 12 locations. It's very easy for me to slip the headers over the studs. I may not be for others with all that stuff in the way. I did it this way when I was doing the fab work because I had to take them off and on a thousand times.

I still recommend studs in all things aluminum when ever possible.