Exhaust question

BarbeeT

Just starting
Hi there, im looking to put exhaust on my 87 GN but im not a big fan of the hooker areo chamber mufflers...... Im looking for alittle bit louder but still tamed. If anyone could please give me your suggestions id greatly appreciate it!! Thanks Kevin

Hi there, im looking to put exhaust on my 87 GN but im not a big fan of the hooker areo chamber mufflers...... Im looking for alittle bit louder but still tamed. If anyone could please give me your suggestions id greatly appreciate it!! Thanks Kevin

i dont know how loud mine sounds..... but it sounds mean at idle. just has a slight grumble almost as if it had a big cam, but it doesn't. i have 2.5 split at the downpipe with no cat through 2 series 40 flowmasters, it dumps out behind the rear wheels. i love mine. ;)

well I'll be also running a cut out soo i could always open that when i want it louder. But yea i was thinking about with flowmaster........

The Hooker mufflers had a terrible drone to them and were starting to rot after 2 years. The Magnaflows practically eliminated the drone with a very throaty sound.

Was very pleased with the sound.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I also have Magnaflows on mine and they drone ? And a buddy has Flowmasters on his and agree sound sweet at idle, I am sure they drone also though. As far as a loss in HP very little at most I have seen proof they don't flow as good as a straight through muffler but I am sure your not giving up seconds here maybe a tenth ?:eek:

I also have Magnaflows on mine and they drone ? And a buddy has Flowmasters on his and agree sound sweet at idle, I am sure they drone also though. As far as a loss in HP very little at most I have seen proof they don't flow as good as a straight through muffler but I am sure your not giving up seconds here maybe a tenth ?:eek:

i really dont feel like mine drones?? if its in drive and not OD it might start to drone just a lil but it is definately not bothersome. the flows were on there when i bought the GN 2 years ago and i wouldn't change a thing.....

I really do wonder why Gnxtc2 says definately DONT put them on. heres a pic of the underside of mine, just added full hotchkis kit and new bilsteins:biggrin:

i still need to do some cleanin and paintin under the car but i couldnt wait to drive it :wink:

Attachments

• underside GN.jpg
    underside GN.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 271
i really dont feel like mine drones?? if its in drive and not OD it might start to drone just a lil but it is definately not bothersome. the flows were on there when i bought the GN 2 years ago and i wouldn't change a thing.....

I really do wonder why Gnxtc2 says definately DONT put them on. heres a pic of the underside of mine, just added full hotchkis kit and new bilsteins:biggrin:

i still need to do some cleanin and paintin under the car but i couldnt wait to drive it :wink:[/QUOTE
looks great, mine drone at certain rpms and highway goes right through me getting old I guess? But agree Flowmasters sound great on a TB , the Flowmasters on the car I am talking about is a 10 second car and pulls like a frickin train!!And the sound is sweet.I say put whatever you like on your car it's not going to hurt performance that much not like your sticking potatoes in the tailpipes

I have a 3" hooker cat back on one of my cars and an ATR 2.5" full kit on the other. If you are looking for a more of an import sound (not sure why you would lol) go with ATR's. I like the sound of the hookers at an idle, but i would have to say that the ATR's are much louder at WOT but you can really tell that its a V6.

i still need to do some cleanin and paintin under the car but i couldnt wait to drive it :wink:[/QUOTE
looks great, mine drone at certain rpms and highway goes right through me getting old I guess? But agree Flowmasters sound great on a TB , the Flowmasters on the car I am talking about is a 10 second car and pulls like a frickin train!!And the sound is sweet.I say put whatever you like on your car it's not going to hurt performance that much not like your sticking potatoes in the tailpipes

thanks for the kind comment :)
so so true. mine only has a drone sound next to a wall on the interstate, but doesnt bother me. some do. my GN has a best pass of 12.6, its no 10 sec train lol. my grand prix has flowmasters, my K-5 has flowmasters!!! lol lol and my Tundra has the TRD stainless duals. the K&N on my truck i think might be louder than the exhaust but that thing is a MONSTER!! from a roll to 100 MPH a 300 SRT8 could only get me by a car length!!! oh, and it is a train, with fuel it weighs 3 tons! lol

ok, so fill me in........ why should you not put flowmasters on a turbo buick?

Somewhere on here there's a link with muffler tests. The flowbastards were the worst out of all of the "performance" mufflers. They work great for an NA car but for forced induction they suck.

Somewhere on here there's a link with muffler tests. The flowbastards were the worst out of all of the "performance" mufflers. They work great for an NA car but for forced induction they suck.

thanks for the insight charlief1. i didnt know they performed that bad. thank god i'm not tryin to squeeze tenths and hundreths out of mine or i would feel bad........ i love the sound and in the cincinnati area where i'm from, there arent too many cars runnin the streets that will even hang with it and the stoplight to stoplight is my fun ;) thanks for fillin me in, like i always say, i'm still learnin :rolleyes:

i am in the same situation here. i'm looking to replace the dynomax's that were on the car when i bought it, they sound ok but they are rusting out and i want something a little more aggressive. does anybody know where i can find a sound clip of the magnaflows?...i looked on youtube and it isn't great but it is all that i've found so far

thanks

x2 on the flowmasters..ive heard that from a few people experienced with TRs.
back inthe 80s i had a GT, they sounded mean on those cars...:)

ok, so fill me in........ why should you not put flowmasters on a turbo buick?

Because Flowmasters are restrictive mufflers designed for low performance applications where you want to make the engine "sound" good. With a turbo car or any car that is going to move a lot of spent gas, you don't any restrictions in the mufflers for optimum performance, thus why straight thru perforated tube mufflers like Dynomax Ultraflows and Magnaflows are recommended.

FWIW I've went from Flowmasters to Ultraflows on 3 vehicles, 2 of them were V8's and one 6 (the TR) and I felt an immediate difference in top end power that previously did not exist.