Exhaust Wrap

Kyle F

Addicted to Boost
Has anyone tried using somethign like the Thermotech heat wrap on their exhaust? IT seems to make sense to lower the under hood temps and prevent some heat soak on the intercooler. It sould keep the crossover pipe from heating up the oil pan some, and keep some of the energy in the exhaust. Technically speaking the more heat you keep in the exhaust pre turbo, the higher the enthalpy (flow energy) of the exhaust will be. THis should increase overall efficiency of the turbo system and aid in quicker spool up.
Any thoughts? Will this hurt our headers?

i thought about doing this too but i was told it wasn't exactly necessary...now i did wrap my downpipe because it was banging around the frame...i wrapped the entire pipe and now it's quiet as a mouse:D

The thermo tech wrap works just fine. As far as the bad, it holds moisture under the wrap and slowly rots the piping. Sometimes during start up you will get some steam from burning off the extra water under the wrap.

I've always been told that the wrap is bad news not because of moisture, but because the heat-soak effect eventually ruins the pipes with cracks and stuff.

But I used Thermo-Tec stuff on other parts as a heat shield. I used their Thermo Sleeve on the fuel lines and AC lines that pass near the turbo, and on any wiring that passes near a heat source, like starter wires, fuel injector wires, etc. Works great.

So, is there any place to get replacement headers for a TTA. Stock type or better? Or is it if these break we are S.O.L.?

JOHN PEARCY

Kyle,

I'd call John Pearcy at www.johnsperformance.com with that Q.

He's very definitely a major TTA-Ninja, as well as one terrific human being. If he doesn't know for sure (regarding anything), he'll find out & get back to you...fast!!

HTH :)