External Oil Cooler?

CutterTurboT

BOOST
Who makes the best external oil cooler for our cars and where to get it? I would like one that is fairly simple to install...Thanks

Don't get the PTE remote filter one.

Ours leaked no matter what we did to cure it.

We aren't the only ones--they've got a bad
history of leaking, which we did not know about.

We finally gave up in disgust, yanked it off and got a HAYDEN. Try HAYDEN.com, or look them up on Google.

No problem with the PTE filter kit here either BUT - he was asking about a cooler.
I'd use one of the big "trans" cooler stacked plate units.

The PTE turbo saver is a good alterative to just a oil cooler,it sends clean oil to you turbo and cools the oil as the remote filter get's cool air setting behind the head lights;)

I have one that I got from Tony DeQuick (CAS) years ago that I never used. I'll have to dig it out if you are interested. It was a high quality unit; from memory approx 5" wide by 10" long with pipe fittings.

I believe a bunch of folks use the B&M Supercooler; Summit has these and other similar (smaller?) units to browse through.

-S.

I think ATR still has the best deal on the B&M. Its a kit with everything you need to install on the TRs
I'm pretty sure most agree the B&M is the best bang for the buck.

I'm never gonna finish this car!:(

> B&M Supercooler

For transmission or oil? Yes, ton's of us are using the supercooler for tranny cooling, but I doubt that many people are using the same one for oil.

>>>> B&M Supercooler

For transmission or oil? Yes, ton's of us are using the supercooler for tranny cooling, but I doubt that many people are using the same one for oil<<<

OOPS!!:eek:
Your right...Most aren't using it for the oil...but I am..And I'm using the PTE filter too. I had no choice on the 'vette. No room for a filter. And the factory thought we needed a cooler on the motor so far be it from me to try to second guess them...What a plumbing nightmare!

Yep...I thought the same thing but....aaaaeeegggghhh..wrong.
Looked up the supercoolers at B&M 's website and there are many models and they specify which models that can work as engine oil coolers also.

Found out something cool I did not know while researching. Seems as Certain model supercoolers have an orifice that acts as a temp regulator allowing the tranny fluid to not flow through until the fluids thins from heat and then goes through the cooler.
That is why you must know which models to get for oil. I believe the 2 biggest are either or.

I called B&M on what size to use. The tech said the 28,000GVW SuperCooler for for both the trans and oil.
How it works is when the fluid is cold it bypasses most of the cooler and as the fluid gets warmer and more viscous it is able to flow thru more and more of the plates. Self limiting and controlling. Nothing to wear out or break.
Gotta love it...:D

Anything self limiting and controlling can wear and break, that's Murphys law #19 I think. ;)

I use a tranny oil filter on my turbo feed line, working fine so far.

Skipped all those PTE leaky hoses and relocation adapters.

Run the biggie adapter anyway. :)