Extreme Automatic Transmission problem

newkid87GN

I just bought a stage 1 2004r from Extreme and have had issues from day 1. The tcc only worked sometimes,sometimes it shifted great other times it would shift very hard and sometimes it would take off in 2nd gear and sometimes not,yesterday it totally gave out I have no forward gears or reverse,just a buzzing sound from the pump..Any ideas what could be the problem? I will call Lonnie on Monday

Sounds like trash or debris has gotten....what did you do with your old cooler and convertor when you installed new trans?

Im sure your frustrated but posting up threads titled as this one without contacting the vendor?

Did you contact Lonnie while the trans was shifting funny?

With ANY tranny problem you should always stop and try to figure it out before it eats itself up.It looks like dirt from an old converter or lines not flushedo_O

Kevin

yes I contacted him and yes it is frustrating especially when you read all the warranty conditions and having to remove the unit crate it up and pay $400.00 in shipping is not sitting well. Installed a new cooler and converter.I dont think that posting a thread like the one I posted discredits Lonnie,Its just as important to post complaints as well as compliments so the people who read these threads will be informed.I have read many negative comments about CKperformance transmissions and he a local but I bought from Extreme due to what I have read about them on this forum.

I have heard that Lonnie stands behind his work thats one of the main reasons I bought from him . My major concern is the cost of shipping. Hopefully he will make good on that too..

Its just as important to post complaints as well as compliments so the people who read these threads will be informed.

How can you have a complaint against Lonnie if you haven't yet determined that he did anything wrong.

That is correct I can not say for sure that they did any thing wrong but I for sure dont see anything wrong with the installation and TV cable adjustment..

yes I contacted him and yes it is frustrating especially when you read all the warranty conditions and having to remove the unit crate it up and pay $400.00 in shipping is not sitting well. Installed a new cooler and converter.I dont think that posting a thread like the one I posted discredits Lonnie,Its just as important to post complaints as well as compliments so the people who read these threads will be informed.I have read many negative comments about CKperformance transmissions and he a local but I bought from Extreme due to what I have read about them on this forum.

Shipping is no where near $400.00 for a tranny. Find a small pallet, wrap the tranny in plastic( lawn bags work great), buy 2 ratchet straps and strap it down. Ship from a business address without liftgate service as it adds about $80.00 on each end. My stroker motor with heads and intake cost me $163.00 from CT to St Louis in a crated pallet using R&L carriers. Lonnie can help you with his carrier if you ask him. If it is his problem he will take care of it. If on the other hand it was caused by a misadjusted TV cable or linkage or dirty fluid he will no doubt need to charge you. He is very easy to deal with, just dont try to BS him.

Bryan

That is correct I can not say for sure that they did any thing wrong but I for sure dont see anything wrong with the installation and TV cable adjustment..

I'm looking ahead to the near future when this is all behind you and you have a good shifting trans that takes everything you give it. That day will be here before you know it. Until then,I'm pullin for yuh. We're all in this frickin turbo Buick thing together.

Just got off the phone with Lonnie.He said the forward drum let go, he offered to have it picked up fixed and delivered back free of charge:) >he did recommend a billet drum at an additional cost.I think I will go that route for peace of mind. Lonnies customer service exceeded my expectations..THANK YOU :)

just a word of advice, don't thank him until its fixed and back in your possesion

Tim, I hate to say this Buddie, but you are a little out of line and pre-mature posting this here?

Tranny rebuilds and parts are the most difficult part of the GN to get perfect when building for performance, and mail order make it even more taxing.

Glad we ship engines which are less complex than trannys which are assembled with many more possible areas for small issues.

Lonnie has been around before the board doing trans and other turbo work, and always takes good care of his customers. He is one of the few guys in our community that will go the extra mile for his customers.

I have your check here for you, Lonnie did exactly what he told me he would for you. :)

All is good! :D

No complaints, and was not publicly going to say anything in my situation as it was dealt with offline. I certainly appreciate all the help Nick. Consider it dropped.

Not in every case , but . . . I think a transmission builder is taking a chance if he is not the installer of the transmission . Not always possible , of course .

I asked a builder about the fail safe checkball . He said till about 20 years ago he left them out of all his builds . Says he built one for a " friend " . The friend installed a TV cable that was too long and smoked the transmission . The friend made the builder out to be the ass hole . :(

I have been a tech for GM for several years and I can honestly say that the 2004r transmission is a piece of crap.No matter how good of a builder you are or how careful you are there always is a problem.Sometimes you get one thats great but most of the time not. I would not want to be a builder who has to sell and guarantee these units.Extreme and CK are both great builders with great reputations. Hats off to both.

I
I have been a tech for GM for several years and I can honestly say that the 2004r transmission is a piece of crap.No matter how good of a builder you are or how careful you are there always is a problem.Sometimes you get one thats great but most of the time not. I would not want to be a builder who has to sell and guarantee these units.Extreme and CK are both great builders with great reputations. Hats off to both.
I have one of Lonnie's stage 1 transmissions with over 30,ooo very hard street miles behind a stroker engine that makes some power and this thing still shifts like the day I got it. Not bad for a crap 200r4!!