F.A.S.T. Classic serial cable

10secregal

HI everyone. Does anyone know where I can get the old 4 pin serial cable for the Fel pro fast system? I recenly ordered a cable, but it is a 3 pin. Maybe someone knows how to convert that cable to fit the old ECM. They are both three wire systems, I don't know why they have a 4 pin connector. Also I'm trying to run C-com for windows with the old system. Will that cause problems? I have the serial to usb adapter because my laptop doesn't have a serial port. Thanks

I just teed off my cable so I could have both ends, the older 4 pin and the newer three pin depending on what car I was working on at the time. Colors match up, so just hook in a weatherpack to match. The windows software works on the older boxes, but not the other way around.

Greg

Maybe I am out of my mind, but I don't EVER remember seeing a 4 pin connector on a FAST serial cable or harness.

HI everyone. Does anyone know where I can get the old 4 pin serial cable for the Fel pro fast system? I recenly ordered a cable, but it is a 3 pin. Maybe someone knows how to convert that cable to fit the old ECM. They are both three wire systems, I don't know why they have a 4 pin connector. Also I'm trying to run C-com for windows with the old system. Will that cause problems? I have the serial to usb adapter because my laptop doesn't have a serial port. Thanks

I just came accross my old one today. 4 pin connector. PM Sent to you.

Maybe I am out of my mind, but I don't EVER remember seeing a 4 pin connector on a FAST serial cable or harness.

All the old precision jumper harness kits for the Buicks used a 4 pin weatherpack. My box still said Fel-Pro on the box and the software and had a serial number of 349. Not sure when they switched to the smaller connector, but it was close to the time when the windows version came out.

Greg Kring

I just teed off my cable so I could have both ends, the older 4 pin and the newer three pin depending on what car I was working on at the time. Colors match up, so just hook in a weatherpack to match. The windows software works on the older boxes, but not the other way around.

Greg

I tried doing this, but it came up that the computer couldn't communicate with the ECM. Any thoughts? In the device manager I made sure that my usb to serial was set to the right com port. Don't know what else it could be. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I think with the serial adapters you have to use com port 4?
I know with the Big Stuff there is a comm setting in the bigstuff software, can't remember on the FAST. We run into this alot with the newer computers, it has to do with the comm settings, not the cable. I'll check when I get home today. Are you running the latest FAST software or an older DOS?

Greg

I tried doing this, but it came up that the computer couldn't communicate with the ECM. Any thoughts? In the device manager I made sure that my usb to serial was set to the right com port. Don't know what else it could be. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Make sure the wires match up across the weatherpack (as Greg implied) when you plug in the connector you made. Sounds silly, happened to me :redface:.

Art

well, checked the laptop and my windows fast setup is setup to com port 1 and works fine.

Greg

Thanks for all the help. Got it. My com port was not configured properly. Had to splice the wires just like you said. Thanks again