Failed emissions in TN. High carbon!

buickshake87

As my first post I wanna say hello to the entire community thanking you in advance for any help you give me.

My 87 GN, bone stock, failed emissions. Guy said I have high carbon levels. No service lights on or problems that I'm aware. I did find a vacuum hose off that fixed my idle. I did notice oil inside of my tube exiting the intercooler going into intake when I removed it to paint. Hope that's not a problem. Any info would be awesome guys. Thanks, Chris

LOL I like the 'Thumbs up' right next to "Failed Emissions"...

I wish I could be that positive about emissions testing! :biggrin:

In CA, this is where things are going...

Smog%20inspection%20on%20the%20street1.JPG

smog%20on%20the%20street4.JPG

If you can't tell, its a roadside smog checkpoint. :mad:

Good luck figuring out your problem, I dunno crap about that but there are plenty of smart dudes on this board who will help you out. You're in good hands on this forum.

As my first post I wanna say hello to the entire community thanking you in advance for any help you give me.

My 87 GN, bone stock, failed emissions. Guy said I have high carbon levels. No service lights on or problems that I'm aware. I did find a vacuum hose off that fixed my idle. I did notice oil inside of my tube exiting the intercooler going into intake when I removed it to paint. Hope that's not a problem. Any info would be awesome guys. Thanks, Chris

What did vacuum line go to? get breather for passenger side valve cover and that will keep a lot of the oil out of the innercooler. If that vacuum line was to fuel pressure regulator that could cause your problems. Less vacuum to regulator raises fuel pressure from 7-10 lbs. How many miles are on car? Last tuneup? How bad did it fail? Post readings.

Good luck figuring out your problem, I dunno crap about that but there are plenty of smart dudes on this board who will help you out. You're in good hands on this forum.

Roadside checkpoint:eek: Dont they have smog checks for lawnmowers out there. I have been out of the emissions ring since Illinois did away with rolling cars .

I'm in TN, but my TTA is registered in Ky. No emissions checks in hick towns, so I don't worry. Can you get a antique car status plate and forgo smog check in TN.? Good luck. Let us know how you out.

:eek: They are getting rid of dyno testing here in Utah next year.

Post your emissions results from your test. I need the CO, CO2, NOX & HC levels. Do you have an IM240 test or is it the sample test where they run the car at 15/25mph. If its the sample test, I need the 15 MPH and 25MPH results.

List anything else it might have failed for like in the functional test w/the EGR or something.

Sorry everybody, this is so much different than facebook, so i'm so lost. haha. I will find my test numbers and post them. New to the Grand National all together and love you guys for the help. Also got a miss or whatever you call it, seems like fuel, maybe not. idles way down, almost quits then way back up. give gas misses then revs out with a small uneven miss but very faint, after cars warm it almost goes away.. I may sound crazy but thanks for the info either way, promise i'm not :O(

Post your emissions results from your test. I need the CO, CO2, NOX & HC levels. Do you have an IM240 test or is it the sample test where they run the car at 15/25mph. If its the sample test, I need the 15 MPH and 25MPH results.

List anything else it might have failed for like in the functional test w/the EGR or something.

I pull into the building, they stick something in my tailpipe, tell me I'm not good enough and take my money.. feel used,, I'm guessing its the IM240 cause its all while sitting still. Thank you for the help, I will get the results.. Anyone heard of the denatured alcohol tricks in gas??? not trying anything till I talk to you smarter than me guys..

Have ya tried a can of sea foam?

If sea foam makes it do what your pictures showing, I'm buying a case.. No buddy, I'm not putting anything in it till i hear advise. I've used it but really new to turbos and the difference if any in maintence..

One of the drawbacks to this section is it doesn't always get a lot of views. You have an issue with the IAC and/or TPS is what it sounds like to me. Do you have a scan tool of some sort so you can tell us what kind of readings you have.