Failed emissions in TN. High carbon!

One of the drawbacks to this section is it doesn't always get a lot of views. You have an issue with the IAC and/or TPS is what it sounds like to me. Do you have a scan tool of some sort so you can tell us what kind of readings you have.

Hooked up a SNAP-ON MODIS to the car today and it showed no codes, very weird the way it acted though.. went into display data on the MODIS and the car started idling correct at 1000rpm, then backed out of the monitoring data screen, as soon as the MODIS said disconected, the car went back to idling like crap, rpms droped, started missing again (all which are the normal symptoms this car displays) then went back into the program again, car cleared right up. Did this 3 or more times exact same result each time... anybody got a cheap modis i can just lay in the floorboard and leave hooked up?????????????:confused:

Ok here are my emissions readings. Only catagory that failed is HC.. guessing thats hydro carbons... any help would result in a big kiss but since your not close this will have to do:0

HC: readings=703
units=PPM
Limit=220
result=FAIL
CO: readings=1.01
units=%
limit=1.20
result=pass
CO2: readings=9.55

I got an older OTC unit off the board and you can find them on evilbay cheap if you look. The draw back is that when you hook the scanner up it goes into diagnostics and puts the computer in "road" mode. Plug the scanner in and turn the key on without starting the car. what's the IAC sitting at and what's the TPS sitting at. Here's a good link for you to read. Lots of diagnostic info on there.

Vortex Buicks

thanks man, that explains the idle fix when hooked up.. I don't have the MODIS on me, buddy still has it, i did write down all the readings while running but didnt have TPS reading, didn't even list it.. found a vacume line off (or it looks like a line goes there) on a small box on passenger side valve cover, it has 2 nipples coming off, theres a line on one side going to the side of the turbo and the small box has a place for another line but no line... anyone know where I can get a breakdown of lines or just like an exploded view of engine and lines, things like that???

PM me your email and I'll send you some of the diagrams I have. Just don't put them on the board or net. Copy writed after all.

Hooked up a SNAP-ON MODIS to the car today and it showed no codes, very weird the way it acted though.. went into display data on the MODIS and the car started idling correct at 1000rpm, then backed out of the monitoring data screen, as soon as the MODIS said disconected, the car went back to idling like crap, rpms droped, started missing again (all which are the normal symptoms this car displays) then went back into the program again, car cleared right up. Did this 3 or more times exact same result each time... anybody got a cheap modis i can just lay in the floorboard and leave hooked up?????????????:confused:

Those types of testers when hooked up initiate a diag mode that locks the timing to a preset level (fairly low) and locks the idle at a preset level (usually too high like you found).

NEVER EVER take the car for a drive while in this mode. You MUST find the Road Mode in the test before moving the car.

Failed hi HC.. Hmm, how's the conditon of the EGR? functioning properly???? How about the cat.?? What chip is in the car??

Failed hi HC.. Hmm, how's the conditon of the EGR? functioning properly???? How about the cat.?? What chip is in the car??

Dave, I believe everything is bone stock. I have no clue on the EGR but if you can tell me a way to test, I will check it out. I plan on replacing all the hoses to everything since some are dryrotting along with all the cheap emissions crap.. I have big plans with low budget you know>>>lolol champagne taste on beer budget.:biggrin:

Oh and I didnt drive the car and thanks for the warning, thats real HBO (helping a brother out). I do have a gm code reader type thing I found in the car that has 1982 to 1995 gm vehicles and when I plugged it in under the radio, the check engine light starts flashing. Then heres the other wierd thing, now the damn thing doesn't idle up and down anymore like it did.. Maybe I should start next time with "not haunted car"..

If the car is all stock, with a stock chip, and original cat and no other mods, you've got what you need to get through the smog check, however, some parts like the cat may be bad.

The cat would be my first suspect part.

The EGR can be checked with a mity-vac vacuum tester. Just hook up to the nipple on the valve and pump to see if it opens, and more importantly holds open and doesn't leak down.

BuickShake87 just to verify, have you taken the cover off the ECM to verify that its the stock chip? Lot of people used to upgrade chips without many other mods and I believe a lot of them have EGR disabled in them if their aftermarket.
This would be a very simple check.
Also, the "box" you found on the passenger side valve cover with only one vacuum line connect is supposed to be that way. Its the boost solenoid.

After verifying the chip in the ECM is factory, with the car running you can reach behind the black cover on the driver side. theirs a diaphram behind their, if you pull back on it the car should stumble or die if its working correctly.

Without a scanmaster or good scan tool these cars can be near impossible to work on.

Dave, I believe everything is bone stock. I have no clue on the EGR but if you can tell me a way to test, I will check it out. I plan on replacing all the hoses to everything since some are dryrotting along with all the cheap emissions crap.. I have big plans with low budget you know>>>lolol champagne taste on beer budget.:biggrin:

Oh and I didnt drive the car and thanks for the warning, thats real HBO (helping a brother out). I do have a gm code reader type thing I found in the car that has 1982 to 1995 gm vehicles and when I plugged it in under the radio, the check engine light starts flashing. Then heres the other wierd thing, now the damn thing doesn't idle up and down anymore like it did.. Maybe I should start next time with "not haunted car"..

I would clean the throttle body and IAC out, replace vacuum lines, and then beat the crap out of the car to "clean" it out, lol. Does the car still have a cat on it? When you plug the Tool into the ALDL connector under the radio it just jumps the 2 terminals, the check engine light will flash out the code. Yours probably throws out code 12, that means 1 blink pause..........................2 blinks.